Weightlifting versus just eating correctly

Sean

I've been a big lifter for some of my life, stopped doing it, and am now reavaluating whether I want to get back into it. My feeling toward it is lifting might be wasteful as we as intelligent beings no longer need the massive amount of strength. Why not just practice good nutrition? What are your feelings toward this? I don't enjoy lifting, but I find myself searching for reasons to do so.

Have you tried any of the places that offer a "CrossFit" style of exercise?  CrossFit is a brand, but there are a lot of gyms springing up that offer a similar service, often under the name "boot camp." 

You typically go to these gyms at a specific time (usually on the hour), and you work out in a group, on the workout of the day.  It consists of a randomized set of exercises, consisting of body-weight movements, some with weights, combined with short runs (200-1600 meters), and plyometric movements like jumping on and off boxes. It lasts about 30-40 minutes.

It produces a very well-rounded physique, with a great deal of functional strength.  It's also a lot of fun.  The exercises leave you feeling stimulated, not a worn-out dish rag.  The experience is much different (and much more enjoyable) than merely grunting out the usual reps-and-sets at a normal lifting gym. 

I believe the reason it is more fulfilling and enjoyable because these randomized movements are closer to the pattern of exertion that humans evolved to be able to do. 

Muscle mass will keep your metabolism up and help prevent too much fat from accumulating.

It's good for your heart, blood pressure, and general well-being.

Regular weight training will help mitigate problems later in life.

None of this means that you need to bulk up. If you don't particularly enjoy lifting weights then lower the intensity and amount of lifting per session.

Good nutrition is important whether or not you lift weights.

Having muscles doesn't make you healthy, although obviously the exercise part does help

having all the nutrients you need and as few toxins as you can manage makes you healthy

one does not want to eat shit and think that exercising somehow balances it out, it doesn't. They are not all in the same equation.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.