'Blue Valentine' - Recommended

An indie romance film starring Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams. Very honest, and incredibly authentic. I think Stef and the gang would enjoy it because it does emphasize the themes of love and family, and all the realities (for better or worse) of those two subjects. The performances from Gosling and Williams are just magnificently complex and nuanced.

***SPOILER ALERT***

What's interesting about the film is how it presents the relationship. It juxtaposes the relationship as it begins (with the two falling in love) and then as it ends (with the two struggling through marriage and falling out of love.)

It's up for the audience to decide which parent is the real catalyst of the break-up, but it could go either way. What's important is that it emphasizes THEIR failure as lovers and parents, where their daughter is the innocent victim. It's not an abusive relationship though, it's just an extremely troubled one.

I saw it about how wives project their own insecurity onto their husbands. The wife's insecure feeling is derived from her own sense of value which is low. The husband is in equillibrium with his environment. He is a good father, a good provider, and most importantly he's as happy as the situation allows him to be. The wife claims she wants someone who has more ambition though what she really means is money. While its understanable that she wants more resources to provide for herself and her daughter the husband does not feel this way. The man is content. The woman is insecure. Both stare at each other from across this chasm and wonder why they got married. If the woman wanted a rich man than why didn't she marry him? If both could communicate better than the conversation would have been about two things. Why does the woman needed him to more ambitious? Why does the man not find out the root of why his wife is so unhappy? 

Part of the beauty and honesty of this film is that neither side is perfect. The man drinks and smokes and he lashes out violently when frustrated though not at her or the children. The real victim of the film is the children, of course.

Just my rambling thoughts. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.