Lack of Carbs makes people Fat

fzu

I see many people simply confuse themself with what causes weight gain. Many people still believe the 'low carb' dogma for losing weight/athletic performance.

But the elephant in the room is that there is not a single, zero, nada pro athlete that eats low carbs, nobody has yet named one in all of my conversations. You need high carbs for high energy. Natural sugar is the best source of energy, hence why all pro athletes eat mass amounts of fruit, Johan Blake and Usain Bolt eat at least 15 bananas a day, with a medley of other carribean fruits/vegetables. Try telling them to eat low carb for weight loss...

You should get 80% of your calories from carbs, 10% from fat, 10% from protein- this is proven to be the best caloric breakdown. Carbs/sugar themself don't make you fat since they are absorbed into the bloodstream rather than stored as fat. Fat makes you fat, sounds pretty obvious- but there is so much propaganda surrounding fast food industries and people wanting to hear good things about their bad habits that many people simply don't see the obvious. If you eat fat, it doesen't magically transform into something else, it gets absorbed as fat.

I eat about half a kilo of sugar a day. And around 5000 calories on average for a year now with up to 10g of fat from thos calories. So I must be obese right?

Posted Image

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from. But from what I have read its not that  sugar is bad in and of itself. Its the amount of sugar consumed that becomes an issue. How much sugar a person can tolerate depends on their genetics and activity level. If your an athlete or a marathoner and are burning through tons of calories you can eat a lot of sugar and burn through it. It becomes an issue when you eat more calories than your burning, especially with sugar(carbs). Everytime you eat carbs they processed into glucose in your bloodstream. The glucose in your bloodstream needs to remain below 110 on average to remain healthy. I know you stated, "Carbs/sugar themself don't make you fat since they are absorbed into the bloodstream rather than stored as fat." [/font] But what do you think happens after that, because glucose can't remain in the bloodstream. When it does that is called diabetes. So when your body senses an elevation in blood glucose levels it releases insulin which takes the glucose into the cells. Your body can store glucose in the form of glycogen in the liver and muscle cells. But for every gram of glycogen stored your body stores I believe around 2-3 grams of water severly reducing the amount that can be stored. So once someone's storage capacity for glycogen is reached the body then convert the sugar to fat and store it. The reason active people and athletes don't see fat accumulate is because their activity is constantly depleting their muscle and liver glycogen levels, so they have room to refill them. An interesting fact: the quick weight people lose when starting a lo carb diet isn't actually fat, it's the loss of water that was previously stored with their carbs.

Here is a link to a video by an endocrinologist at UCSF breaking down have sugar is processed in the body and what the effects are:

http://youtu.be/dBnniua6-oM

Its called Sugar the bitter truth, its an 1.5 hours long but really informative, If you watch let me know what you think.

I see many people simply confuse themself with what causes weight gain. Many people still believe the 'low carb' dogma for losing weight/athletic performance.

But the elephant in the room is that there is not a single, zero, nada pro athlete that eats low carbs, nobody has yet named one in all of my conversations. You need high carbs for high energy. Natural sugar is the best source of energy, hence why all pro athletes eat mass amounts of fruit, Johan Blake and Usain Bolt eat at least 15 bananas a day, with a medley of other carribean fruits/vegetables. Try telling them to eat low carb for weight loss...

You should get 80% of your calories from carbs, 10% from fat, 10% from protein- this is proven to be the best caloric breakdown. Carbs/sugar themself don't make you fat since they are absorbed into the bloodstream rather than stored as fat. Fat makes you fat, sounds pretty obvious- but there is so much propaganda surrounding fast food industries and people wanting to hear good things about their bad habits that many people simply don't see the obvious. If you eat fat, it doesen't magically transform into something else, it gets absorbed as fat.

I eat about half a kilo of sugar a day. And around 5000 calories on average for a year now with up to 10g of fat from thos calories. So I must be obese right?

I can't view the multimedia content fyi, so bear that in mind.

When I read your post about sugar in the blood stream, I didn't get the sense like you understood all of it. It's true that the blood will absorb sugar. But there is only so much sugar that can reside in the blood before it becomes toxic. When people get diabetes and they binge on sugar, they can go into a diabetic coma, where they can't function until their blood sugar levels drop. Excess sugar is converted into fat using insulin in the pancreas. The cycle is that someone eats more sugar than they use, and then they eat it all again. Eventually the ounces of excess sugar add up to pounds of fat. If you would like a source about this, I would be glad to provide it to you.

Where are you getting your percentages though? Could you give me an example of an ideal diet?

But hey, if it works for you, that's great. I personally try to eat a lot of meat and vegetables, while I eat fruit when I want sugar. I'm not fat either.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from. But from what I have read its not that  sugar is bad in and of itself. Its the amount of sugar consumed that becomes an issue. How much sugar a person can tolerate depends on their genetics and activity level. If your an athlete or a marathoner and are burning through tons of calories you can eat a lot of sugar and burn through it. It becomes an issue when you eat more calories than your burning, especially with sugar(carbs). Everytime you eat carbs they processed into glucose in your bloodstream. The glucose in your bloodstream needs to remain below 110 on average to remain healthy. I know you stated, "Carbs/sugar themself don't make you fat since they are absorbed into the bloodstream rather than stored as fat."  But what do you think happens after that, because glucose can't remain in the bloodstream. When it does that is called diabetes. So when your body senses an elevation in blood glucose levels it releases insulin which takes the glucose into the cells. Your body can store glucose in the form of glycogen in the liver and muscle cells. But for every gram of glycogen stored your body stores I believe around 2-3 grams of water severly reducing the amount that can be stored. So once someone's storage capacity for glycogen is reached the body then convert the sugar to fat and store it. The reason active people and athletes don't see fat accumulate is because their activity is constantly depleting their muscle and liver glycogen levels, so they have room to refill them. An interesting fact: the quick weight people lose when starting a lo carb diet isn't actually fat, it's the loss of water that was previously stored with their carbs.

Here is a link to a video by an endocrinologist at UCSF breaking down have sugar is processed in the body and what the effects are:

http://youtu.be/dBnniua6-oM

Its called Sugar the bitter truth, its an 1.5 hours long but really informative, If you watch let me know what you think.

Well, I don't do much exercise- maybe 45 minutes cycling/running a day? hardly anything. So what? it's my genetics?

Everything you have said is untrue, carb calories are released through thermogenisis. It is only stored in fat when people have had a history of calorie restriction. I have been eating as much carbs as I want for a long time now, and my body has adapted and doesen't store fat by instinct as an emergency. 

That's the theory, but clearly it's not true. I 'binge' on sugar every day for a year now and I am not fat. Your body always uses sugar, even if you aren't doing anything physical- every cell in your body runs on glucose, so the more sugar you eat the better.

Well, I don't do much exercise- maybe 45 minutes cycling/running a day? hardly anything. So what? it's my genetics?

45mins a day of running is hardly anything? Probably more than 99% of the population.

It also looks like you're young. People tend to put on weight easier as they get older.

That's the theory, but clearly it's not true. I 'binge' on sugar every day for a year now and I am not fat. Your body always uses sugar, even if you aren't doing anything physical- every cell in your body runs on glucose, so the more sugar you eat the better.

How fat you are or anybody for that matter, says nothing about chemical reactions at a cellular level. Genetics, activity level, diet history muscle mass, stress, are all factors into whether someone is fat or not.

I have ate no carbs for weeks at a time, to the point where my body was using ketones. I was 7% bodyfat with good musle to only eating protein and fat. But that doesn't mean that eating fat and protein can't make you fat because I wasn't fat. 

Did you watch the video? If the link doesn't work. Search on youtube for: sugar=the bitter truth.

If you have proof that there is some error in his research I would love to see it. 

I think using genetics to explaining health is not wizardry. Most people regard asians to be very slim & healthy. This is because their traditional diets consist of high carbs, seriously. If you know any chinese, they are always eating when they are not working- huge amounts of rice, noodles, sweet patatoe - big carbs. Yet when they come over to America, and have a higher fat % diet- they get bigger! it's not a mystery.Mark Sissan looks pretty overweight to me, so I am immediately sketpical and didn't watch.With diet, you have to look at things long term. Since anyone can lose 15 lbs virtually instantly if they eat 300 calories a day for a week or so- but statistically they will inevitably put all the body fat back on, even more so if they didn't starve. A succesful diet is a sustainable diet, and everyone who starves will eventually binge out- no exceptions.How long have you been eating like this?

1. 45mins a day is a good amount of cardio, assuming 30 of those mins are within your target heart-rate. A pro cyclist or sprinter might do a lot more than that; however, they're also consuming a porportionally larger amount of calories (and likely a steroid cocktail or two) relative to their exercise regime and their metabolic rate. They undergo regular diagnostics exams to maintain this. It is perfectly possible to loose weight doing 20-30 mins of fast walking a day, assuming one's diet reflects that low level of activity.

2. There's a world within the term "carbs," and it makes no sense to be that general. Sweet potatoes and rice are among the most healthy within that category. What passes for "carbs," in most American diets: french fries and sugary baked goods, are at the opposite end of the spectrum.

3. I agree that a sustainible diet is key and that a healthy diet contains *healthy* carbs, perferably those rich in dietary fiber.  That said, carbs aren't the primary factor in anyone's weight loss or weight gain. Most Americans are simply inactive and eat too many calories, regardless of what those calories are from.

If you run 45 minutes a day, you probably have good endurance.  So I'm guessing you could manage 6 miles per hour.  I'm also guessing you weigh 145 lbs.

According to this calculator, you burn 488 calories with that exercise.  That's the greater part of a big mac with cheese, leaving you a couple hundred calories to burn with your nervous system and low level body functions.  So even if you ate a big mac every day, you probably still wouldn't gain weight.

I eat a lot of sweet patatoe and rice from time to time- it is good, it is second best option for carbs, but the staple is high sugar fruits. I'm an inactive person myself, I have a very sedentry lifestyle working from home.

But the elephant in the room is that there is not a single, zero, nada pro athlete that eats low carbs,

What your friends should have pointed out is that nutritional advice for an overweight person trying to lose weight versus a pro athlete would differ greatly in any case.

However, there is an overlap, and that is when a pro-bodybuilder is 'cutting', meaning trying to slim down while maintaining muscle strength and definition, he eats less carbs than what he burns up, losing weight in the process. But in any case, you're confusing two different goals in different situations.

It's called cutting & bulking because ther diet is wrong. Anyone can eat no carbs or no calories for a while, and will lose a lot of weight- but it never works long term since the body always catches up. Every body is the same, we are all humans and have the same digestive system- so to say that one diet doesen't work for someone, while working for others is simply incorrect. 

It's not about the calories, it's about the nutritional breakdwon of calories carbs/fat/protein. If I ate a big mack every day I would blow out and would not have much energy to be active.

I know that's what you're proposing here; however the second sentence does not substantiate the proposition that it is not "about the calories," which every nutrition text I have ever read suggests it is.

Fact is, cultures across the globe have a tremendous variety of diets that range from almost 100% fat/protien to almost 100% carbohydrate/dietary fiber. The reason that the US is obese isn't because it flipped the script on the balance of carbs to protien. The obesity problem stems from abject inactivity in combination with tremendous caloric intake.

Just to be clear; we're not talking about a young man who eats one big-mac and has 45mins of activity a day. We're talking about a population that consumes many big-macs worth of calories per day and have close to zero minutes of regular exercise. Of course, that doesn't entirely rule out the premise that an avoidance of carbs is not helpful when dieting. You could make a compelling case to dieters that they are not getting enough carbs for their exercise routine. But again, in the most gerneral terms, and we have been speaking in the most general terms here, it is almost entirely about calories and exercise.

[View:https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Yo3TRbkIrow]

If you want to understand how insulin and leptin work to make people fat because of sugar intake, watch this video. It explains the leptin system very well.

To sum it up, insulin is released in your body to counteract elevated blood sugar levels. This happens naturally, and all the time in response to food. Unfortunately it also blocks the signal hormone leptin from reaching your brain to tell your brain that you are not hungry anymore. Leptin is released when fat is added to your fat cells. Insulin combines with sugar to create fat.

It's that simple. Sure serious athletes can eat thousands of calories a day more than me. They burn it off, or otherwise they would be fat as well.

I'm very overweight. I quit smoking dozens of times before it stuck, and each time I gained 5-10 pounds from eatting to fight the cravings. I hope to lose 100 pounds this year.

I know that's what you're proposing here; however the second sentence does not substantiate the proposition that it is not "about the calories," which every nutrition text I have ever read suggests it is.

This isn't true. Although it's almost all about calories. Recent studies have found that it's more than the heat value needed to burn the food. The food's content had much to do with it. It also has a lot to do with regulating blood sugar levels (not carbing out before eatting fatty foods, like having bread before your steak.)

It's a complex subject and one answer isn't going to be the cure for everyone. Sure, you can absolutely lose a ton of weight on atkins/south beach/etc. I've known many people who have. It's not healthy weight loss however. Your risk cardio issues from the high fat and cholesterol intake. The same can be said of low calorie carb eatters. You can starve yourself to force your body to burn fat, but you are going to feel like crap. It's not healthy either.

I could eat nothing but fruit and veggies (provided I get the right amino acids to make protein) and as long as I don't eat fat, and eat the sugary foods spaced out, I could lose weight. It's probably the most healthy way to lose weight. However "natural sugar" is unhealthy in every way. It's cheap energy, which raises insulin levels (especially as you age) and will cause you to put on weight.

I wish I wasn't sick or I would get on the treadmill. All this thinking about food is making me feel fatter than I already am.

It's true, that's why eating and drinking nothing at all for days and days makes people gain fat.

And they lose muscle mass. I never said it was the only way fat gets into the fat cells. I mere said it is the way sugar has contributed to the problem.... for 10k years, obesity hasn't been a problem... then cheap sugars come on the market. Now we KNOW the biological mechanism that makes it happen. Educate yourself.

It's true, that's why eating and drinking nothing at all for days and days makes people gain fat.

And they lose muscle mass. I never said it was the only way fat gets into the fat cells. I mere said it is the way sugar has contributed to the problem.... for 10k years, obesity hasn't been a problem... then cheap sugars come on the market. Now we KNOW the biological mechanism that makes it happen. Educate yourself.

That's what I'm saying. 

Sorry. I have been dealing with conspiracy theory types that see conspiracy theories EVERYWHERE and now I am seeing conspiracy theorists everywhere, even where there are none.

That's what I'm saying. 

It's a complex subject and one answer isn't going to be the cure for everyone.

And in my experience, the answer for most people has been their caloric intake far exceeding their limited exercise regemine. I fully grant that it is a complex subject; however, my point was that if one is to be general, one should be talking about calories, rather than just a certain type of food. In either case, you're going to have a less than perfect picture, but the latter is going to be much more misleading.

Sorry. I have been dealing with conspiracy theory types that see conspiracy theories EVERYWHERE and now I am seeing conspiracy theorists everywhere, even where there are none.

That's what I'm saying. 

I hear ya. Nonsense be everywhere. 

No, that is not true. You need energy to begin with to have sustainable exercise in the first place. EVERYONE should eat unlimited carbohydrate calories, as it is not stored and fat, and it benefits every cell in your body.

No, that is not true. You need energy to begin with to have sustainable exercise in the first place. EVERYONE should eat unlimited carbohydrate calories, as it is not stored and fat, and it benefits every cell in your body.

No. You are incredibly wrong. Please watch the video to understand how the human metabolism and fat hormones really work.

No. You are incredibly wrong. Please watch the video to understand how the human metabolism and fat hormones really work.

This information in the video is very true and useful. 

Sorry, but anyone claiming to be a guru or expert on health and nutrition should not be overweight- hence why I am not listening to him.

Posted Image 

If I want to stay slim and healthy, I am not going to seek advice from someone overweight & unhealthy. If I want to get richer, I won't seek advice from a poor person. Just basic logic.

Sorry, but anyone claiming to be a guru or expert on health and nutrition should not be overweight- hence why I am not listening to him.

Posted Image 

If I want to stay slim and healthy, I am not going to seek advice from someone overweight & unhealthy. If I want to get richer, I won't seek advice from a poor person. Just basic logic.

It's obvious that guy doesn't know what he's talking about. 

Thank goodness it is not just me.

I never claimed to be a guru or expert in anything. I merely linked good information from a doctorate of biology research scientists at a reputable institution who has published peer reviewed and repeatable findings that contradict your outlandish claims.

I suspect you are in your early 20's and that the claim of 5000 calories a day is a fabrication. More over, in 10 years if you are really eatting 5k a day, you will either have the build of an olimpic athlete or a sumo wrestler.

Posted Image 

It's obvious that guy doesn't know what he's talking about. 

So what? China is liying about how much rice they eat? I am liying about how much rice/fruit/veg I eat too? haha.

Check out this guy, he eats way more carbs/sugar than me, and has been doing it for 10 years straight- he practices with pro cyclists, and has training videos of him with Lance Armstrong and really the best of the best- he says exactly what I say:

Posted Image 
 Many models also eat this way, since it sucks you right up, very low body fat %:

Posted Image

Again, eats about the same amount of calories as I.

Keep telling yourself I'm liying. haha. 

Showing someone  who eats mostly carbs and is skinny proves nothing! 

Here is a pic of me eating at a breakdown around 15%carbs, 35%protein, 50%fat.

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=0b75cf7c70&view=att&th=13cca616964e04c7&attid=0.1&disp=thd&zw

Does this prove something to you Fzu? I hope not. So quit using the same rationale as your proof. And bring some science. Get on pubmed and do some research.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.