The Real State of the Union by Peter Schiff

• 2 weeks later...

I ask this question out of sincere curiosity: "For people who believe that big government improves the lot of the typical middle class person, in what way does it do so?"

If we are to talk about the huge programs of Medicare and Social Security (not Medicaid since that is supposed to be a benefit for the poor), we are talking about programs for the elderly, not the working middle class person. Indeed, it would seem that these programs would make the working middle class worse off because of the huge payroll taxes put upon them that takes a huge bite from their wages. Other transfer payments, such as food stamps, aid to needy families, etc. seem to only apply to the poor. I would think that it's probably the middle class that makes the greatest use of federal student loans, though it is hard to say that they are a benefit since they lead to college being ridiculously expensive. 

So, if someone could answer the above question for me (even if the answer such people would give is fallacious, that's great, I just want to know how they think), I would appreciate it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.