The name "Truth" for Stefan's new film

I find the name "Truth" for the new movie somewhat problematic. The use of the word truth is absolutist stating what it says cannot be changed. Philosophy is the search for truth which is never absolute since new information always comes to light.

I would suggest a name like "Truth?"... This is what we think is true at this time but subject to change.

I think that Stefan will be lambasted by the media when they find one falsehood in the film that he has named "Truth".

Just a thought,

Henry

I'm not too fond of the title either. To me asserting that what you're presenting is truth rather than letting your audience decide based on facts you present make a film seem more like propaganda than a documentary. Which is not at all what the film is from what I've seen of it, but first impressions are very important.

The
use of the word truth is absolutist stating what it says cannot be
changed. Philosophy is the search for truth which is never absolute
since new information always comes to light.

Is your truth statement bound by the same parameters as you are deploying towards others?

The word Truth also has multiple definitions:

truth

[trooth] Show IPA

noun, plural truths [troothPosted ImagePosted Imagez, trooths] Show IPA .

1. the true or actual state of a matter: He tried to find out the truth.
2. conformity with fact or reality; verity: the truth of a statement.
3. a verified or indisputable fact, proposition, principle, or the like: mathematical truths.
4. the state or character of being true.
5. actuality or actual existence.

Sorry about the cut/paste from Dictionary.com

When I hear the word "truth" I tend to think of example 3, (i.e. 2+2 = 4) as I think most people will think when they hear the word. Thus, I think the film will be ridiculed if any critic finds one part of the film which is not true. Additionally, when I hear the word truth used I think of the word dogma.

On a side note, one option would be to use the phontic spelling of the word and call the film: "Trooth".

Henry

Truth as a methodology is absolute - reason and evidence - truth as a conclusion must always be open to better reasoning and evidence.

Do you think the average potential viewer will understand the distinction you're making, if you don't explain it to them first? People who are already philosophers might get it right away, but for a film directed at a wider audience it might not be as clear.

Truth as a methodology is absolute - reason and evidence - truth as a conclusion must always be open to better reasoning and evidence.

Do you think the average potential viewer will understand the distinction you're making, if you don't explain it to them first? People who are already philosophers might get it right away, but for a film directed at a wider audience it might not be as clear.

That's an important point.

But also, just in general, it seems pretty risky to adopt a title that A) is generic enough to tell you nothing at all about the subject matter, combined with B) implying a judgment call about how "good" it is.

Maybe in this case the title is essential -- the contents plays on the title in a clever way, or something.  So maybe it's secretly a brilliant choice in a way that we're just not in a position to judge at the moment.  But from where I'm standing right now, I just can't see what this title does in a powerful way, except to generate eye-rolls from those unfamiliar.

As an example in the opposite direction, I found "the tyrrany of illusion" to be a far more intriguing title, and relevant to the subject matter.

I think that is my point in that you are targeting a wider audience they will not make the distinction and only see the name from a black/white perspective. When I first heard the name the first thing that popped into my head was: "Well that's a bit arrogant. This movie is going to try to tell me the absolute truth", rather than: "This movie is going to help guild me in seeking the truth".

During interviews you may spending more of your time trying explain the name of the film rather than discussing it's contents. This is especially if there is some factual error, (true or perceived), in the film.

It's like the choice of movie names: "Bald men make better lovers" or "Do bald men make better lovers". Naturally I would wholeheartedly agree with the first name since from my perspective there is no question about this truth. Others with less testosterone and more complete hairlines may beg to differ. They would be more likely watch the film with the latter name hopping that this well known truth may be dis-proven.

Just to invite more feedback, did the title "Truth" really wow anyone here in a positive way?

Not wow, but after some contemplation I think the title very aptly and succinctly describes Stephan and his material.

Guest NateC

Just to invite more feedback, did the title "Truth" really wow anyone here in a positive way?

The word worked pretty well for Al Gore's film.

Truth does sound a bit pretentious, but from a PR standpoint it might just work. It's an intriguing title for one. Nothing fancy. Short. It makes me want to click play, don't you think?

Truth has been used just once for an unknown movie : http://www.imdb.com/find?q=truth&s=all

If reviewers start blasting the title and it generates controversy, I say the more the merrier. Truth needs to explode past movies like Loose Change, Thrive and Zeitgeist.

If it were called "Truth" that'd be fine.  BUT why not consider some of the names of the older podcasts?!  There is a an overwhelming number of wonderful titles of podcasts....

Howabout naming it "The Story of Your Enslavement: The Documentary"

Or sumpin

Guest NateC

If it were called "Truth" that'd be fine.  BUT why not consider some of the names of the older podcasts?!  There is a an overwhelming number of wonderful titles of podcasts....

Or sumpin

I like the title "Or sumpin"

Guest NateC

Do you think perhaps "Truth" may be an effective title for this sort of triage?  I mean, if I convince my statist neighbor to watch the film on the merits of its flashy title, I doubt he'll say after watching it, "Why yes boy, this is exactly what I've been looking for!"

Or sumpin

I like the title "Or sumpin"

Yes, "Or Sumpin" is an evocative phrase.  Powerful.  Not to be used lightly!

Perhaps the documentary could be called "On Truth", like his book.  Or "Unchaining the Truth", or "The Truth Unchained"  It'd be more descriptive. 

Eh, whateves.  Truth aint bad tho.  Stef almost always is 3 (or 10) steps ahead of me...and usually when I find myself disagreeing....later I realize he was freekin right all along and I was wrong.  I'm used to it by now.

Are you suggesting that I'm somehow obligated to donate...

No, of course not. When you spoke of withdrawing your funding, I thought you meant to somehow take back funds you had already donated for the funding of the documentary.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.