Black Swan

Is probably the first movie to disturb me psychologically. Never mind the molestation Nina Seyers receives from her pervy, yet otherwise brilliant director, the movie is a great introspection on narciccism. She sees herself in others but not in a way that respects the oneness amongst, but in a way that she breeds nothing but envy for everyone else who she thinks deserves more than her. Also her sheer determination to be the best ballerina is just sickening to the point that makes you wonder where the line is drawn between passion and obsession. 

I highly recommend you watch this movie! For a movie based on ballet, it's dark and disturbing. Definitely not a movie you'd share with little young girls--or boys for that matter--who love all things ballet. This ain't your Barbie Ballet!!

Oh my God, someone else noticed it! I knew it was her mother that raped her the night before the show. Lily said "sweet girl" which is the same thing her mother says. I guess Nina was so damaged that the only way to put up with the rape, she had to fantasize it as Lily doing her. I mean the signs were all there where her mom wanted to undress her and Nina was so subtle, but defensive nonetheless.

• 4 weeks later...

I think this says something about me, but I saw the mother as a kind and loving figure who was trying her best, and Nina as a girl with little self confidence who got screwed up by other people. Going to have to rewatch this sometime.

• 1 year later...

I listened to Stefan's review of "Black Swan" before I saw the movie. I felt that helped me to get a lot more from watching it, especially as the plot is a bit subtle and complicated in parts. Unfortunately, I can't locate Stefan's review now.

My take was that the mother was the abuser. As a subconscious defense, the daughter had "switched off" her emotions to block the pain. As a result, the only way she could experience any type of emotion was through self-harm that was strong enough to "pierce through" her emotional barrier.

I thoroughly recommend "Black Swan". It's well worth making sure you have no distractions, and totally immerse yourself in it.

Is probably the first movie to disturb me psychologically.

For me, "A Clockwork Orange" was the first.

I listened to Stefan's review of "Black Swan" before I saw the movie. I felt that helped me to get a lot more from watching it, especially as the plot is a bit subtle and complicated in parts. Unfortunately, I can't locate Stefan's review now.

It's FDR podcast number 1826.  :)

• 4 weeks later...

I often wonder about deep movies like this one. Do the writer and director really have such a detailed and insightful knowledge of the human condition, or does that aspect of the movie arise as a side-effect of them trying to make a commercially-successful film?

I often wonder about deep movies like this one. Do the writer and director really have such a detailed and insightful knowledge of the human condition, or does that aspect of the movie arise as a side-effect of them trying to make a commercially-successful film?

That's an awesome question!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.