My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic/Any Philosophical Bronies?

Well, fictional characters are... fictional- I.e not true. Similiar to propaganda. The TV shows I do watch are things like Kitchen Nightmares were one of the best chefs in the world goes to resteraunts going under for advice on how to be better. Bear Grylls, UK Apprentice, since it is based in reality with real people.Comparing a fictional cartoon pony to a person in a call in show discussing economics, philosophy and personal issues is not the same, they are not equal. I don't see the similiarity at all. My experience of cartoons/fiction/anime was that of pure procrastination and distraction from reality.

Oops never mind you just explained it. 

Ok well lets try to make sense of what you mean by fictional characters being similar to propaganda. 

If a fictional character in a story becomes the paramount of virtue--when they started off flawed at the beginning--through trials and tribulations, how would that be propaganda? I'm not saying all fiction is impervious to propaganda, like I said earlier in the thread Twilight is propaganda for normalizing abusive relationships. But how could all fictional characters be tools of propaganda when we got MLP characters exercising virtue after momentarily losing their way? 

In conclusion, I feel like you're over generalizing fiction to be a negative force in our society based on your personal experience, and that you say this with the assumption that anyone who subjects themselves to fiction is easily impressionable to emulate the behaviours they witness. Correct me if I'm wrong though, it's just a feeling that Im sensing from your posts.

Wasn't Power Puff Girls intended for little girls too? I remember being drawn to it along with some of my other guy friends, but there was less taboo about it because it actively chose to masculinate the the characters. Of course that's when I was young though, so I'm not sure if there was an adult following for that.

Yes Powerpuff Girls was indeed intended for little girls.  Powerpuff Girls is making a comeback later in the year.  Don't believe me?  Get a load of this and it's 100% official and confirmed too  Watch this: 

Yeah there is an adult following for it, of course.  It was created by Lauren Faust and she has a lot of involvement with MLP: FiM.  She didn't create our favorite little ponies (well the new drawing style and stuff, yes), she developed them.

• 1 month later...

within good reason. Any hardcore Brony should know not to take it too seriously because the target audience is little girls.

However, I genuinely enjoy the show for the reasons I listed earlier and the movie kind of killed those things for me. Becoming human made the ponies less human if that makes sense. I mean on the show their personalities felt human, but the movie felt too much like people looking from the outside assume it to be. Shallow frilly girly stuff with depthless romance. 

I like whats going on between Spike and Rarity but Twilights romance in the movie...ehhh

Its on Youtube for free with sub par sound quality. Still watchable atleast. Let me know what you think if you take the pirate route. Dont let my opinion saturate your experience.

• 1 month later...

I am brony and many of my male family and friends are. I go to anime/game conventions and have a ton of fun.

To answer the "Why would GROWN MEN watch a little girl's show?"

Kids of the 90's would be watching Cartoon Network when shows like Dexter's Labartory, Johnny Bravo, and the PowerPuff Girls ( Lauren faust the creater of My little pony worked on this) were being played. We still watch them today including video streams online. When we found out that Lauren Faust was working on My Little Pony we had to watch. And she did a wonderful job and really involes herself in the community. Of course there are other variables that lead up to the huge My little pony fan community, but this is one part of it. 

I am happy to see men push gender bias. Go men! I'm glad men are involed in this fanbase and they are doing great things! Bronies for Good is a website where bronies can help others around the world. This is on their website:

Bronies for Good as an idea and an organization originated on the/collab ponychan board. On that board there was a thread discussing the idea of transforming the altruistic values of the show and making a positive impact in the world. Idea after idea had been thrown around about on this +300 comment thread about starting a charity, working on fundraising projects of various sorts, or contacting non-profits or charities with the intention of direct collaboration.

So hearing people say that these men are babies, that they are weak or retarded really bothers me. I am proud of these men and what they are accomplishing. Also bringing up philosophly, there are actually forums like this one where bronies go and discuss philosophical ideas that were brought up in the shows. Many bronies are intellegiant and helpful people. Of course like any other group there will always be a few bad apples and those apples usually gets the most focus from the media :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Has anybody watched the premiere of season 4? My GOD, man was it epic. I was considering dropping this show, amongst many others, because Equestria Girls really ruined the franchise for me for a while. But season 4 truly redeemed it. There's so much about the first two episodes that made it awesome:

• Return of Discord! and making it even more of a mystery if he really has reformed
  • Reference to past and relevant events really respected the continuity of the mythos
  • More insight on where the Elements of Harmony really came from
  • You get to SEE the battle between Celestia and Nightmare Moon, and how she banished her into the moon
  • The animation got even better! As you can see within that battle and many more sequences
  • Twilight's growth into becoming an Alicorn Princess presents some natural and interesting challenges
  • With sparse dialogue and visual language, even in the briefest moments, you can easily remember how every pony related to each other so far in the series
  • Hinting at a grander adventure when they find a significant item at the end of the episode

Since the 2 parter was more of an adventure and action based story, it didn't really show if they have retained its comedic edge as well. There were some comic relief scenes that I thought were really good, but hope to see some more slice of life episodes that bring back the funnies full force.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

My talented girlfriend has made some awesome t-shirt designs for you Bronies out there!

Here's a preview of the designs:

Posted Image

They look really good on the t-shirts, you can check them out in the Zazzle store:

http://www.zazzle.com/leave_the_farm-235032811418232469
http://www.zazzle.com/my_little_ancap_pony-235572185427110713
http://www.zazzle.com/anarcho_capitalism_pony-235856942757066029

If you have a good idea for other philosophy related designs for t-shirts, posters, coffee mugs or whatever, just send me a PM and we'll try to make it happen! (Christmas is coming! :happy: )

There are a few points I think are worth noting.

The fact that you watch a children's show as grown "men", has to engender some knowledge that there will be persecution.

It is completely against the grain of mainstream ideals of manhood and so must thwart the man's attempt to fit into the male model. This will entail his complete exclusion from most mating paradigms where the female has had her sexual ideals indocrinated from youth, without mentioning the biological factors.

The energy placed in fandom, as any fandom I think has at its core an inability to relate to oneself. Wouldn't it be more beneficial using that energy to explore oneself and to find out the deep well of ones own charisma, courage and beauty? It does have a community of people who enjoy the show together but ultimately, isn't this need to escape into a children's tv show just escaping from the trauma of childhood?

Personally I think it's fine if it can be used as a bridge to other things, or as a form of brain candy. If it stretches into this involved lifestyle I have to question the motivation and intention behind the behavior. If the bronies could turn the group meetings into places where people can have genuine interactions and relationships with people of similar taste and mind frame then it would be amazing. If they could talk about their childhood traumas and share growth and learning. I don't think the fandom would last after that though since they are dealing with the underlying issues and have basically created a community around them which is what they wanted anyways. 

They have Brony charities and the fact that the show is about peace, love and tolerance, the fandom is a safe place where they can express empathy for each other. The likes of which they most likely couldn't get as young boys. Such as it was explained in Stef's podcast: How a Man's Heart is Murdered. I might make a video on this one day to give my full theory as to what drives the fandom beyond the typical remark from a popular essay on it, that "these men are just sick of the cynicism and the state of the world since 9/11" or something to that effect. The fandom IS how they learn about themselves, recognizing that they have all these feelings and vulnerabilities, and desire to be loving that they may not have been able to recognize amongst the plethora of tesosterone filled boy cartoons from back in the day.

For some, the going against the grain thing is their conscious desire. To REALLY stand out...even though they may end up standing out like sore thumbs at times. Trust me, I do get embarassed and ashamed of some Bronies out there. Particularly one of them in the documentary where this guy lives in a very redneck populated area, and chose to deck his car out with MLP art on the windows. It actually looked really nice, but even I think that was taking his love for it too far and was kind of inviting the death threats he got from local rednecks.

On the other hand there's a cute couple in the documentary that would have never met if it wasn't for their mutual love for MLP and a nearby meet up. They are inspired to carve out their own wooden MLP toys to paint and sell at conventions. It just has many sides to it. Most of them really are the most awkward type of dudes who would typically be picked on, and as a straight male, I can say there are also some Bronies who are physically attractive and pretty normal for the most part, like without any hint of neuortic tendancies or anything like that. 

I dunno, I would argue, any woman who wouldn't want to date a guy for simply being into MLP is a woman that is too heavily indoctrinated to want to love in the first place. Why would a guy want to go for such a close minded, unempathetic woman in the first place? If it were the case that they get along just fine except for that one aspect of him, then it'd be his choice to either choose love or escape.

For me, if I dated a woman who was concerned that I watch this show, I would understand why and actually give HER a chance if she wasn't extremely judgemental about it, but rather curious. I'd share with her that I have no desire to collect the toys or deck out my car with its art and be overly proud of my fascination with the show, and what it really comes down to is that to me it's just like any other show I watch. It's something that speaks to me. If she can't see that, no harm no foul. I won't give up the show, but I'm not too entrenched in the fandom to make that a deal breaker as if her distaste in something I like will tarnish any other aspects about us.

They have Brony charities and the fact that the show is about peace, love and tolerance, the fandom is a safe place where they can express empathy for each other. The likes of which they most likely couldn't get as young boys. Such as it was explained in Stef's podcast: How a Man's Heart is Murdered. I might make a video on this one day to give my full theory as to what drives the fandom beyond the typical remark from a popular essay on it, that "these men are just sick of the cynicism and the state of the world since 9/11" or something to that effect. The fandom IS how they learn about themselves, recognizing that they have all these feelings and vulnerabilities, and desire to be loving that they may not have been able to recognize amongst the plethora of tesosterone filled boy cartoons from back in the day.

For some, the going against the grain thing is their conscious desire. To REALLY stand out...even though they may end up standing out like sore thumbs at times. Trust me, I do get embarassed and ashamed of some Bronies out there. Particularly one of them in the documentary where this guy lives in a very redneck populated area, and chose to deck his car out with MLP art on the windows. It actually looked really nice, but even I think that was taking his love for it too far and was kind of inviting the death threats he got from local rednecks.

On the other hand there's a cute couple in the documentary that would have never met if it wasn't for their mutual love for MLP and a nearby meet up. They are inspired to carve out their own wooden MLP toys to paint and sell at conventions. It just has many sides to it. Most of them really are the most awkward type of dudes who would typically be picked on, and as a straight male, I can say there are also some Bronies who are physically attractive and pretty normal for the most part, like without any hint of neuortic tendancies or anything like that. 

I dunno, I would argue, any woman who wouldn't want to date a guy for simply being into MLP is a woman that is too heavily indoctrinated to want to love in the first place. Why would a guy want to go for such a close minded, unempathetic woman in the first place? If it were the case that they get along just fine except for that one aspect of him, then it'd be his choice to either choose love or escape.

For me, if I dated a woman who was concerned that I watch this show, I would understand why and actually give HER a chance if she wasn't extremely judgemental about it, but rather curious. I'd share with her that I have no desire to collect the toys or deck out my car with its art and be overly proud of my fascination with the show, and what it really comes down to is that to me it's just like any other show I watch. It's something that speaks to me. If she can't see that, no harm no foul. I won't give up the show, but I'm not too entrenched in the fandom to make that a deal breaker as if her distaste in something I like will tarnish any other aspects about us.

I can't disagree. I do think as with all things there are concerns. As long as they are aired out and in open discussion I think it becomes a healthy activity. The fantasy aspect of the show for me is a little troublesome, but we are all on that journey towards selfhood where fantasy has been a pacifier.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.