Intellectual Music?

Does anybody listen to music they would consider as intellectual music, whether lyrically or composition wise? One song I'd like to share with you is one by Protest the Hero called Spoils. Pretty heavy and unstructured (free verse and no chorus, but ketchy nonetheless), and the lyrics are a good introspection on our use of language and domination.

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqL_JnnOo9k]

Endowed with the art of casting names upon its beings
The humans claimed dominion over every living fucking thing

Proud as purpose as they began to walk the earth as they arraigned 
The common creatures caught within the corpus cursed, conscious human brain

Every word ever written will fall short of its intent
Even sung or spoke or screamed they will betray what they have meant

Language is the heart's lament, a weak attempt to circumvent the
loneliness inherent in the search for permanence

All the future ghosts who scratch their names in wet cement
Demeaning meaning as they shout out at the emptiness
Abstractions are the stake between the anima and animus

Deflesh the word as scourge of human destiny
Behold the world in other people, life is clarity

• 1 month later...

Hans Zimmer's music is
amazing.  Time is a particular composition that I can't stop listening to,
the slow increase in intensity and the dynamic use of instruments to create a truly
moving and emotional piece.  The music video below does a great job in showing
the dynamic nature of the effects of our emotions.  Truly amazing.  I
will check out the other musicians you listed as well.

I don't understand the distinction. The intellect is not separate from the emotions (just look at brain research). All music is an expression of the intellect as much as it is emotional. 

Whether the intellect is functioning properly is another matter.

I don't understand the distinction. The intellect is not separate from the emotions (just look at brain research). All music is an expression of the intellect as much as it is emotional. 

Whether the intellect is functioning properly is another matter.

I disagree that all music is intellectual/rational especially in terms of the choice of lyrics.  I don't know of any musical writers that have been able to achieve the art of combining rationality, emotions, and passion in the realm of music in the same way that Ayn Rand conceived of in her books and Stefan Molyneux has made into a science in his books and podcast.  But I'll definitely be on the look out for the next brilliant artist who is able to accomplish such a feat.

Does anybody listen to music they would consider as intellectual music, whether lyrically or composition wise? One song I'd like to share with you is one by Protest the Hero called Spoils. Pretty heavy and unstructured (free verse and no chorus, but ketchy nonetheless), and the lyrics are a good introspection on our use of language and domination.

I did like the musical Spring Awakening, which maybe the closest I've heard.

Guest darkskyabove

I don't know of any musical writers that have been able to achieve the art of combining rationality, emotions, and passion in the realm of music in the same way that Ayn Rand conceived of in her books and Stefan Molyneux has made into a science in his books and podcast.  But I'll definitely be on the look out for the next brilliant artist who is able to accomplish such a feat.

I know of one: Rush. Neil Peart's lyrics are heavily influenced by Ayn Rand, and their "first" full-album-side opus, 2112, is dedicated to her. Even if you're not into Rush's musical style, reading their lyrics may be worth your time.

Another that I believe captures the trifecta of rationality, emotion, and passion, is Nevermore. Warning: they are a VERY Heavy Metal band. Again, if the music in not to your liking, the lyrics are worth a read, or two.

Which brings up one of the hidden assets of the internet: you don't have to buy the CD (or find some free way to acquire it) in order to read the words.

Hans Zimmer's music is
amazing.  Time is a particular composition that I can't stop listening to,
the slow increase in intensity and the dynamic use of instruments to create a truly
moving and emotional piece.  The music video below does a great job in showing
the dynamic nature of the effects of our emotions.  Truly amazing.  I
will check out the other musicians you listed as well.

The tracks for The Thin Red Line and Inception are great, I think.

I disagree that all music is intellectual/rational especially in terms of the choice of lyrics.  I don't know of any musical writers that have been able to achieve the art of combining rationality, emotions, and passion in the realm of music in the same way that Ayn Rand conceived of in her books and Stefan Molyneux has made into a science in his books and podcast.  

Stefan Molyneux also says that "everyone is a philosopher". Either you call 'philosophy' an ideal or rational philosophy (as Stef or Ayn Rand say they champion) or you see it in the broader traditional way, which every human being practices in their fundamental need to undertand the world or justify behaviour (culture).

If Ayn Rand released a music single with lyrics about how self knowledge and psychology are not necessary, and that she is the only thing you need to see the truth and be happy, would you also call that philosophical music? She certainly would.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.