Yearning

NigelW

When you say they were 'cold', what do you mean specifically? I'm guessing emotionally distant/unavailable?

I think that this yearning is a pretty natural result of a lack of emotional closeness and connection as a child. Connection is extremely important in our early lives. It seems from what you wrote that you received none/little of this connection, and I think that could easily lead to a yearning for it cause it's a deep void that was never filled.

Let me know if anything I've said is off base. If you really did never get that connection as a child, you have my deepest sympathies. That's a pretty terrible thing to withold from a child.

Have you listened to podcast 2322 where Stef interviews Dr Faye Snyder about Reactive Attachment Disorder? There's great discussion in there about the role of emotional and physical attachment in early childhood that may help provide you with some answers and (likely) more questions to mull over. Either way, it's some great through provoking material, and helped me view some things differently in my own past.

It's given me an enormous insight into my childhood, which seems to have been perfectly described in the podcast. I feel somewhat lost, though. It's a disorientating feeling, like I'm not worth anything. That somehow therapy will not be able to change anything and I'll be stuck in an eternal pit of despair and stagnation.

I know that I can climb out, but I'm having trouble finding the rope.

Ah yes I could understand that there may be a part of you that will want to resist therapy. That's just your inner critic wanting to keep you small. I'll provide you with another podcast that I found pretty helpful when it comes to understanding that resistance. 

1149 Inner Critic Roleplay is a very helpful conversation I listened to in understanding the dichotomy of our self esteem. It's definitely worth the listen!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.