Should I become political?

Freetounged

I live in the US. There is a lot of laws that are being passed and I am starting to feel more and more caged. I don't like politics and view it as repulsive as sewage. I am stuck where Lysander Spooner described, something along the lines of, where someone would become political in order to stop the political power being used against them.I am having an internal conflict since one emotion says "it's useless the system was not created to protect you" and another says "I should at least try and fight for what freedoms I have."I am looking for outside perspectives.

Ron Paul does not seem to get much respect on this board, but I’m thinking that’s the model you would try to emulate, correct? He is probably the most successful libertarian politician out there. He’s been a Member of Congress for 37 years. How much has he accomplished? Sure, you’d say that he launched this whole Liberty movement, but that only started ten years ago, and still only reached to about a couple of percentage points of the populace. How many laws has he passed? How many did he prevent from passing? By how much did he shrink the government size? But throughout all these years he’s been ridiculed, called horrible names, been outcaste, backstabbed by his own party. I can only imagine the sacrifices his family had to endure to support his constant campaigning. And don’t forget, he is the most successful one! What about all those who weren’t as strong, persistent, lucky, etc? What kind of toll this type of career took on them? Do you think you really have what it takes?

If you do, keep in mind that politicians’ job is to distribute taxpayers’ money to their friends and campaign donors. Will you be able to stand idly by not being able to fight and not being tempted to partake? I’m sure it’s hard if not impossible.

If you are still bent on it, I think there is a lot that can be done on local level, like a local council, assembly or board. Sometimes it does not take that much money and or effort to get elected into those. It will give you a bit of exposure to the “political process.”

Good luck!

From reading the comments I am getting the idea being political is perceived as being a politician. I meant it in the way of being politically active (voting ,petitioning, protesting).

I should have notated I will not respond to questions since I am away from the internet during the week.

From reading the comments I am getting the idea being political is perceived as being a politician. I meant it in the way of being politically active (voting ,petitioning, protesting).

I should have notated I will not respond to questions since I am away from the internet during the week.

Voting increases the voter turnout, and one of the "political" goals you might set out to achieve is to reduce the voter turnout as much as possible.

I think that you should step outside of politics, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't cherry pick the effective methods used by political activist groups. You can make posters and pamphlets, you can spread a message of liberty, and you can encourage people to not vote. There are all kinds of ways to be socially active without being politically active. I think that there is a tendency to equate the two, and you might consider being "politically" antipolitical. Does this make sense? Basically, why not have your cake and eat it too? Act as though you were a political activist, but limit your message to the non-political realm. I would recommend finding ways to advocate (peaceful) action that is good and constructive where a traditional activist lazily supports a new law.

• 1 month later...

Theres nothing wrong with voting and protesting if you think it could do some good, just understand that the federal government most likely will never be fixed from the inside, its important to look at nonpolitical ways of getting rid of the state too, like agorism, and education. i would suggest getting a blog or youtube channel and use it as a bully pulpit. That is what im attempting to do and it is how most people find out about libertarianism nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.