Carl Panzram: The Spirit of Hatred and Vengeance

I watched this on Netflix streaming, which gives this summary.

This documentary tells the story of early 20th-century serial killer
Carl Panzram, who wrote his autobiography at the urging of Henry Lesser,
a prison guard with whom he forged a strange friendship.

I'd never heard of Panzram before, but after hearing his account of the systematic brutality he was subjected to throughout childhood, boarding school, and in the medieval dungeons that served as "correctional facilities", his adult life as a serial killer and rapist seemed like an almost inevitable conclusion. This is a vivid example of what violence and abuse can create.

I haven't seen the documentary, but i did read a little of his bio in high school. After reading the accounts of sexual abuse as well as the physical abuse you listed above, i couldnt help feel bad for him. I mean theres no excuse for his actions and the harm he did to others no doubt. The only thing is that I felt like i understand, maybe, his reasoning for what he did. He had no sense of security or control throughout his childhood and being abused and raped, he saw that as a means to protect himself from his environment which at almost every turn in his life was against him. He exhibited the same behaviour to punish the world that royally messed him up, or to ensure he wouldnt be the victim again. I'll give the film a look over some time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.