MEcosystem, Self-Management, Addiction

Guest NateC

Guest NateC

I'm attempting to understand, synthesize, and apply these topics, so I'm going to type out what I've processed.  Any validation or correction would be greatly appreciated.

- So the MEcosystem is the authentic/spontaneous expression of emotions, each voice free.- But a healthy MEcosystem is just, and in order to trust that we can be emotionally free is to first carefully manage our emotions, uncovering emotional defenses, triggers, and past abuse that might lead to unjust emotions.- Meditation is helpful in calming defenses and facilitating the examination of emotions, understanding connections to the past and healing trauma or validating those emotions are just.- Addictions can be cured by processing the emotional triggers and fostering an environment where the brain can maintain its happy juice.  And I suppose the reason Daniel Mackler experimented with purity (celibacy and not drinking) was to examine his emotions?

I have been getting in tune with my mecoystem as of late, and also been reading the book below in combination with many others. This is just to say that this concept is rather new to me, and the self-exploration I've been doing is quite a work in progress.

http://www.amazon.com/Self-Therapy-Step-Step-Cutting-Edge-Psychotherapy/dp/0984392777

- So the MEcosystem is the authentic/spontaneous expression of emotions, each voice free.

As far as my experiance, there seems to be various parts with certain personalities, objectives, and ideas on how to act. Perhaps this is just me, but there is locality and physical sensation occuring in my head. It becomes obvious to me when I am projecting myself or some conceptual idea onto one of my parts. I also can tell when parts have come into my concious awareness due to what feels active in my head.

- But a healthy MEcosystem is just, and in order to trust that we can be emotionally free is to first carefully manage our emotions, uncovering emotional defenses, triggers, and past abuse that might lead to unjust emotions.

Not so sure about that. I'd rather describe it as an open and honest conversation. For instance, there might be a part that suggests you do something violent. This might come as a quick violent impulse that confuses you. Instead of freaking out, be curious, do a rtr with the part, and figure out the positive rational behind the action. Then make it clear why acting out the violent impulse would not lead to the result the part thinks it would. From my experiance, the part is likely to understand and will want to suggest something more helpful.

What I am having the most trouble with as far as the concept goes is trusting my parts and letting go. I've lived in the front of my head for most all of my life, and it was so weird to discover that there were all these unexplored areas of my brain. I have rarely ever felt emotion through most of my life, even when I would express emotion. For instance, when my grandfather died when I was 13, I couldn't stop myself physically from crying and being all sad, but I was in my head thinking "why am I crying, I don't care, I don't even really know who this guy is... uh, this this is boring and a waste of time... why don't I just go and do something of actual value", all the while finding what was occuring extremely odd and annoying.

Guest NateC

I'm gonna pick up that book and listen to some more podcasts. 

I'm reading what your typing, but I just don't understand how these parts are different to emotions.  I perceive my self as... "Nate confused" "Nate frustrated" "Nate sad"

RTR'ing with violent impulses is something I haven't done and will definitely try in the future.

Sorry to hear about your grandfather.  You weren't close with him?

Guest NateC

Whew, that was a big read for my small brain. Great article, thanks.  Thought I was at the bottom of the rabbit hole, but gonna try going down deeper. 

Whew, that was a big read for my small brain. Great article, thanks.  Thought I was at the bottom of the rabbit hole, but gonna try going down deeper. 

Glad it helped. I really recommend the original book on IFS linked there. It's a great comprehensive explanation. Stefan kind of uses a broad overview of the system focusing on some parts of it more than others. But there are a lot of specifics in IFS that he doesn't usually mention that are important to understanding the whole approach.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.