Most Disgusting Piece of Artistic Propaganda I Have Seen - The Purge

Just saw the trailer a few minutes ago on TV and felt completely disgusted by the fact that people are going to injest this. The movie seems to be set in the future United States where the world is utopia, with a catch. The catch being that the government "lets" people have one day where all crime is legal, so they can release their hatred. The movie then descends into humanity tearing itself apart just because it is legal to do so. Essentially purveying the same bullshit ideal that anarchy is synonymous with crime and chaos.

Just saw the trailer a few minutes ago on TV and felt completely disgusted by the fact that people are going to injest this. The movie seems to be set in the future United States where the world is utopia, with a catch. The catch being that the government "lets" people have one day where all crime is legal, so they can release their hatred. The movie then descends into humanity tearing itself apart just because it is legal to do so. Essentially purveying the same bullshit ideal that anarchy is synonymous with crime and chaos.

Meh. It'll flop. Whenever someone tries to use it later as a picture of what happens in the absence of the state, you can just say "what's 'The Purge?'"

Interesting concept, to its credit. But if crime is only legal for one night, then that means this movie puts the argument that we are all inherently vicious beings. Crime cannot possibly be at an all time low just because it's made legal for one night a year. There would be no such thing as sociopaths waiting for that one year only because many of them would crack and want to act out during the year. Why put up with competition of who can commit the most outrageous crime when it's all happening in one night?

I just saw an ad for this movie before a YouTube video and it was pretty sickening. People have no idea why they think government is necessary. I know it is propoganda like this, but they haveno idea. It is so frustrating.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't think this concept is anything new, though I am really confused as it seems to be more descriptive of the current state of affairs, especially in that crime in general is at the lowest state possible. If you embed a "target" of the people within the government, they'll send psychopaths to your home to threaten you, and of course they threaten to kill you if you don't comply. These psychopaths are of course citizens, and there is lawlessness because the citizens given the task to "uphold" the  law created by government, are now allowed to purge their own inner demons with sanction from the government.

I understand that this movie is likely not in that direction on a conscious level, especially since the theme seems to be to fear your fellow slaves and not your master, but I feel as if there will be a juggling between the premise of the movie and the current reality we are in. This I would consider a spontaneous manifestation of the unconscious with a blend of the left wing propaganda that that has been quite rampant through the Obama presidency.

Liberals are the biggest disappointment I have experienced.

• 8 months later...

Bah! Rules, rulers…are you going to let one lousy letter R make a difference in your understanding of the English language!?  It's the same word people, I swear! Don't sweat the details.

So…this Purge thing; it could be a slight modification and improvement over what we have now, where for 365 days a year certain people can legally kill, steal and ignore the laws they wrote. Hmmm.

However, if this movie features a man inexplicably dangling from a flagpole which is within kicking distance of an apartment window then I will definitely see the shit out of it.  Lifeboat: The Movie.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.