Why 'tough love' slapping works.

Yes, I'd like to see the studies details myself. It appears to be an interpretation by the Daily Express as it cites (with few details) at least two studies.

Having said that, science or no science the question of hitting (a person) in any other circumstance is considered as universally wrong. So despite lofty expressions like 'tough love', it's probably not a study I could take seriously frankly.

Research has found children are more likely to grow into well-adjusted adults if their parents are firm disciplinarians.

I'm going to use Stef's argument or a subset of his argument for this one...They are diagnosing society as healthy and the child's rebellion to the irrational as unhealthy.  In that case of course firm discipline makes children conform to society better...the problem isn't the results of this study, it's the standard they are measuring it to, in my opinion.

Research has found children are more likely to grow into well-adjusted adults if their parents are firm disciplinarians.

I'm going to use Stef's argument or a subset of his argument for this one...They are diagnosing society as healthy and the child's rebellion to the irrational as unhealthy.  In that case of course firm discipline makes children conform to society better...the problem isn't the results of this study, it's the standard they are measuring it to, in my opinion.

Yea, I think you hit the nail on the head.. It's all about context and expectation of course. Good point.

Good observation!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.