A Path to Empathy - Wait, How Did I Get Here?

Damon Smith

Hey there everyone.  in the last few days I struck upon some thoughts about empathy and how it can be developed.

About a year ago I would catagorzie myself as one of the least empathetic people I knew.  I was heavy into philosophy, psychology, and freedom, but the topics really weren't connecting to me at an emotion level.  In the last few weeks I have come to realize I am now the most empathetic person I know.  (This is very disorienting.)  I have been named an "emotional mentor" by someone whom I respect.

This past week I had some thoughts about what changed and what I did to parcipiate that change.  I believe it came down to something as simple as curiousity with honesty.

I would really like to know what you all think.  Please take a look, and see if any of these ideas strike a chord within you as they have done with me.

Thanks, Damon

Saturday, June 15, 2013[/font]

[anchor=5365044994359049928][/anchor]

A Path to Empathy - Wait, How Did I Get Here?

"One year ago I was reveling in the excitement of self directed learning, yet I isolated myself from the emotional consequences of what I was learning.  Since then, I have undergone an empathetic awakening like nothing I have experienced in my memory.  Today, I find myself in the position of being a philosophical mentor to most everyone around me.  Strangely, while I command much respect for my incisive thinking into complex emotional struggles, I find my attitude softened, with a humble humility pervading my communication tone and methodology."

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.