Sunday show guest suggestions

PatrickC

I would like to invite Ben Lowry to the show perhaps in future.. He has done an enormous job on himself fitness/diet wise recently. Notwithstanding (I hope he doesn't mind me mentioning), that he lost all his hair (alopecia) in 2012. He seems to have a great outlook on life at the moment that I think the community would benefit from.

His Youtube channel is here.. http://www.youtube.com/user/benlowreyhimself

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/benlowrey?fref=ts

Awesome, thank you for the suggestion!  We'd like to do more guest shows in the future, so this thread is a fantastic idea.  What shows would you like to see?

Oh wow, broad question deserves a broad answer I guess. Personally I would like to hear from people that have made big changes (for the better & how) in their life that are real and beneficial to others. However, I would also like to hear from the interesting pundits (like Jeffrey Tucker) in the world that bring us all a very certain amount of joy and inspiration too. [:D]

I had a further thought that Peter Boghossian might make for an interesting guest too. Since he runs a rational thinking workshop and courses on logic, he might be a very interesting as a guest for the Sunday show perhaps. It certainly seemed that both he and Stef got allong pretty well from the interview Stef had with him last year.

His Facebook is https://www.facebook.com/peter.boghossian?fref=ts

Here's a colorful suggestion:

Bernard Chapin is a Libertarian and charismatic advocate for men's rights. He's been producing videos for over six years which total over 1,000 now I believe. I don't agree with all Bernard's views, but he's won me over with his sense of humor, his thoughts on "honor", and his reasoned critiques of the leftist mindset. It's helped me see to a broader degree how prevalent collectivist ideas are in society.

Here's a colorful suggestion:

Bernard Chapin is a Libertarian and charismatic advocate for men's rights. He's been producing videos for over six years which total over 1,000 now I believe. I don't agree with all Bernard's views, but he's won me over with his sense of humor, his thoughts on "honor", and his reasoned critiques of the leftist mindset. It's helped me see to a broader degree how prevalent collectivist ideas are in society.

I'd have to agree.. Very funny chap.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I see a strong connection between what Stefan does and Anarchism with Permaculture. Myself, as a person who seeks freedom and well being, I find both ideologies very attractive to work with. Anarchism touches on society and rights, while Permaculture (which does have a social philosophy of caring for others in general) touches on non-harmful sophisticated local livelihood, in a very practical hands-on sense.

So, just because there need be a name and a person who could make the conversation lively and interesting, I would suggest Paul Wheaton of permies.com. It's the biggest online Permaculture community, and he's very talkative and socially active - and has a podcast, too.

Somehow, I feel that a conversation between the two, about the practicality of using good ideas in contemporary life, would result in a very fun and educating podcast.

What do you think?

Someone I would like to see is Kal Molinet

https://www.facebook.com/kal.molinet

http://www.youtube.com/user/Renegadeboysct

He is a very well dressed and well spoken anarchist who has focused on methods with how to talk to people and make the ideas seem obvious and agreeable with the average person. He focuses on making anarchy a fun community that treats people well instead of angry and frustrated people who get pissed off at irrationality or government policies or something.

I think he would be a decent resource to go in-dept on your "Biggest Obstacle to the Liberty Movement" video.

I just discovered this guy Dave Asprey (the "bulletproof executive") who is super interesting. He does a lot of marketing in his speeches and interviews which sort of put me off just a tad, but the guy has a shit load of interesting stuff to say about nutrition and technology as it relates to a healthier body and mind. Like he puts strange electrodes on his head to induce "gamma state" in the brain.

He also makes a very interesting point about healing the brain. He talks about how the brain has no nerve endings really (save for a few spots) and that it doesn't really know when it's traumatized the way that a broken arm will hurt like hell, send the appropriate hormones (and whatever else that's involved with healing, idk) etc. So there are biofeedback machines that measure all kinds of things that help you consciously see objective measures indicating how stressed you are (for example). The most interesting is a machine he talks about that senses how and where you are using your brain and puts out different tones and different volumes based on that data, so that the brain can actually see itself. Without you even doing anything the brain can see where it's hurt and heal it appropriately. It can also affect IQ he claims.

He has an interview on the Joe Rogan show which is awesome and why I became so excited to see Stef on the show.

• 2 weeks later...

^ Dave Asprey (video above): "I take over 40 pills a day." (Nutritional stuff)

I'm not going to create a proper argument against what this guy is saying, but I get a really bad vibe from him. I'm happy for him for reducing weight and keeping an eye on health; but, the idea that a person can't live very healthy and strong without "supplements" and endless experimentation is just awkward.

A balanced and humble lifestyle and diet is all that we need. Like all animals. Yikes, what a Rogan experience.  :blink: 

I'm not going to create a proper argument against what this guy is saying, but I get a really bad vibe from him. I'm happy for him for reducing weight and keeping an eye on health; but, the idea that a person can't live very healthy and strong without "supplements" and endless experimentation is just awkward.

A balanced and humble lifestyle and diet is all that we need. Like all animals. Yikes, what a Rogan experience.  :blink: 

To be clear, he doesn't say you need to take a bunch of supplements to be healthy, but he definitely does a lot of experimentation. That's what's so interesting to me. To be able to quantify things that aren't easily quantifiable.

I got myself a biofeedback machine to measure my stress levels and it's very interesting and counterintuitive. I changed the way that I physically respond to stress because of it.

He also makes the case for a sodium and saturated fat heavy diet which I thought was totally bad for you, but actually it turns out that more people are recommending that and the original research that said that sodium and saturated fats were bad were flawed.

He is definitely trying to market himself, because that's what he does for a living. He's a life coach for business executives.

It may turn out that he's full of it, and I'm trying to empirically verify some of these things in my own life to see for myself. It's only been a short while, but so far so good. If I die of a heart attack or something, then I'll try and warn yall.

To be clear, he doesn't say you need to take a bunch of supplements to be healthy, but he definitely does a lot of experimentation. That's what's so interesting to me. To be able to quantify things that aren't easily quantifiable.

I got myself a biofeedback machine to measure my stress levels and it's very interesting and counterintuitive. I changed the way that I physically respond to stress because of it.

He also makes the case for a sodium and saturated fat heavy diet which I thought was totally bad for you, but actually it turns out that more people are recommending that and the original research that said that sodium and saturated fats were bad were flawed.

He is definitely trying to market himself, because that's what he does for a living. He's a life coach for business executives.

It may turn out that he's full of it, and I'm trying to empirically verify some of these things in my own life to see for myself. It's only been a short while, but so far so good. If I die of a heart attack or something, then I'll try and warn yall.

I do not know this guy, but I have done a lot of experimentation myself and would encourage others to try it. If you aren't sure what diet is best for you, take some blood tests and weight/size measurements, do a diet dor a coule months and then check to see the changes. I am a big fan of N=1 experiments where you can actually measure the results.

My understanding is there are healthy and unhealathy fats, healthy and unhealthy saturated fats and healthy and unhealthy trans fats. In the saturated fat category, coconut oil is great healthy saturated fats where industrial seed and vegetable oils (you know, the ones that are government subsidized and everywhere?) aren't very good.

In general, monitoring and keeping track of your own health is much preferable to just following doctors anyway. I read a paper about how cholesterol is not very well correlated with heart disease, and that the LDL partcile size as well as the ratio of LDL and HDL were much better measures. Unfortunately, my PCP did not keep up on his medical research and wasn't even aware of the particle size test that I wanted, so I had to spend 30 minutes explaining what the test was in order for him to sign off the sheet. (New York doesn't allow me to get my own blood tests) and then I went to the lab and they weren't sure which vial they needed to put my blood in for the test because they didn't know what the test was. It was rather frustrating to take so long to get a test that was better at monitoring heart disease than the conventional and the information had been around for a couple years by then.

I'd reccomend Dr. Paul Dobransky, author of Mind OS.

http://www.menspsychology.com/mindos

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Dobransky

Dr. Paul harps on observing ego and personal boundries.  Observing ego is looking at your life from the 3rd person, kinda like your life is a movie.  Personal boundies is a little more abstract.  Imagine your personal boundry as the lining to your personal gas tank.  An immature boundry has holes in the form of guilt ect.  So maybe an ex exploits you using guilt, you need to use your observing ego to notice the guilt exploit and next time it occurs you say no.  A mature preson knows when to open and close their personal boundry.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.