Government Spends $2.75M to Clean Malware

Alan C.

Government Destroys $170k of Hardware in Absurd Effort to Stop Malware

In December 2011 the Economic Development Administration (an agency under the US Department of Commerce) was notified by the Department of Homeland Security that it had a malware infection spreading around its network. These things happen, but what came next was truly exceptional. The EDA's IT people—including its CIO—had a meltdown.

. . .

EDA’s CIO concluded that the risk, or potential risk, of extremely persistent malware and nation-state activity (which did not exist) was great enough to necessitate the physical destruction of all of EDA’s IT components. 20 EDA’s management agreed with this risk assessment and EDA initially destroyed more than $170,000 worth of its IT components,21 including desktops, printers, TVs, cameras, computer mice, and keyboards. By August 1, 2012, EDA had exhausted funds for this effort and therefore halted the destruction of its remaining IT components, valued at over $3 million. EDA intended to resume this activity once funds were available. However, the destruction of IT components was clearly unnecessary because only common malware was present on EDA’s IT systems.

Guest darkskyabove

"Why are you pushing this pro-hole agenda; is the money-hole lobby paying you?"

Heh-heh-heh, she said hole!

I wish all the government did was put the money in a big hole.

Elaborate?

I would assume he is alluding to the fact they spend most of their stolen money on war and lining the pockets of their immoral cohorts.

So by comparison just dumping the money into a hole would be huge net gain.

I wish all the government did was put the money in a big hole.

Elaborate?

I would assume he is alluding to the fact they spend most of their stolen money on war and lining the pockets of their immoral cohorts.

So by comparison just dumping the money into a hole would be huge net gain.

Definitely not what I would be striving for, but I suppose it is better than what we have now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.