Upper-class individuals behave more unethically

In a series of startling studies, psychologists at the University of California at Berkeley have found that "upper-class individuals behave more unethically than lower-class individuals." Ongoing research is trying to find out what it is about wealth — or lack of it — that makes people behave they way they do.

Is taking a couple of sweets which you were offered or thinking you deserved to win a monopoly game when you did win it (even if it was rigged), 'unethical' behaviour?

As someone who has and knows others who have been the victim of violent assaults, robberies and burglaries, I can assure you that in my experience non of the criminals were of the upper class. They were without exception from working class or underclass backgrounds and areas. And I think anybody would regard that as immeasurably more unethical behaviour than winning a board game. I have also found it abundantly common that same sense of entitlement and shallowness amongst lower class people as others. Of course there are exceptions but this has been my experience as someone who was born in and raised in a working class area.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.