So... I've been applying for government contracts and it makes me feel a bit dirty.

Here's the story:

About a year ago I started a business in the cheapest place I could find that was near to what I wanted to focus on.

I'm a recent graduate with a degree in biochemistry with big plans and limited funds.

For context, I got into biochemistry because I loved the field, I had always wanted to be a scientist and inventor, ever since I was a small child, and I had misguided aspirations to be an oncologist (shot for the moon, landed in the stars).

I read Atlas Shrugged three years ago while visiting the Mojave Desert with my then girlfriend, and identified with Hank Rearden's character.

Ever since, I wanted to parlay my knowledge into owning a mine/lab, kind of like Rearden (the idea of inventing materials in a lab that he, himself, owned resonated with me). I had an inspirational teacher who had worked as a metallurgist and thought it was awe-inspiring the way he described the fires and the molten metals (tossing paper bags of trace metals into a melt and watching it explode, for instance). I did some research and I found that there was an intersection between biochemistry and mining, so I did my senior thesis on the topic of thorium microbial mining and bioremediation. The only rare earth metal mine in the united stated Americans is here in the Mojave, so I decided to make the move, and solicit them for my services, but that hasn't panned out (though it's not completely out of the question, I think I just need to try harder and knock on the right doors, still, but my optimism, on that front, is low).

That brings me to the present - I've been wasting, and tooling, away in my workshop in the desert for far too long, and recently I was at the Bureau of Land Management and stumbled upon some remediation opportunities... There's a lot of arsenic that needs to be cleaned up from mine tailings, and I have some expertise in how to "clean" hazardous materials. Arsenic seems like it's pretty easy to clean up, knowing what I know about remediation techniques... and maybe I can make gallium arsenide products, like solar panels and transistors with the collected arsenic, and put it to some good use, not just sequester it... 

I was at the BLM because I wanted to do some claim-staking and try out some microbial mining techniques, and pan for gold to make some money to support myself (but gold prospecting is difficult and unstable work, and the microbial mining techniques are experimental [except for the tried and true Thiobacillus ferrooxidans {check out the Escondida Mine wikipedia page for some microbial mining starting points if you're interested in the topic, it produces 9.5% of the world's copper, and runs the world's largest bioreactor of Thiobacillus ferrooxidans} and other industry standards... but I wanted to try out a magnetotactic bacteria]).

I know that Stef has said in the past that money in the government is in a state of nature (Podcast 99, Taking from the state), and I'm inclined to agree, and echo Ayn Rand; do not let yourself be twice robbed.

I also think it's cool that he was a gold prospector in his youth - that resonates with me a bit.

... The economy sucks, I'm trying to support myself and I'm already fairly poor... very poor actually, but not destitute, yet. I don't think I have many choices. I would love to begin mining full bore, but that requires a capital investment (and I'm still learning the mining laws, so that I don't land in jail, and as long as I'm and artisanal/casual miner I'm not required to follow nearly as many laws, but if I want to really work the land, then I'll need to pay-off the government first, and have some capital investments). I might be able to get a business loan, but I have a lower risk-tolerance, and am not convinced that I should go all-in with mining just yet (plus I might need a co-signer, which might mean relying on family, which I'm not eager to do - I would rather have more money down, than ask for familial help, or help from a friend).

I feel that taking government contracts might be my best hope of thriving and building capital.

On the plus side, I might end up bringing my bioremediation skills to some ecological problems under the management of the BLM, or do some other contracts.

On the down side, the government gets my labor and taxes if I do that.

I would prefer to work for a private firm, but if that's not an option, then my business and I have to find another way to survive somehow. (I'm dissociating my labor and myself, but, I am my business)

I would like to make my way toward the exits: sea-stead an algae and fish farm and make biodiesels, but that takes some resources that I don't yet have. I've been buying second-hand lab equipment and I have the means to engineer some algae strains, but that would bankrupt me with the resources I have currently, and I wouldn't have the means to implement my plans without additional liquid assets.

I could roll the dice on gold prospecting.

I could make a mad-dash for the ocean (and probably not succeed and be broke or in debt).

Or I could take government contracts.

I've also been applying for jobs (and casting a wide net), but that has yet to pay off.

Weighing my options, I think working for the government might be my best chance at "purchasing my freedom"... I would rather not give them my labor, but it could lead to some real good. And they pay pretty well... It is a temptation to take the money (and run soon after fulfilling my obligations/taking contracts).

Constructive criticism would be appreciated.

If you want to know some of the things I'm applying for, then check out fbo.gov - it's kind of like a government contracts free-for-all. I feel dirty contracting to the government, but it is, perhaps, the price of freedom... It leaves me conflicted... But, I must make my way...

And anyone in Southern California, Southern Nevada, or North Western Arizona that are good with mining and geology who wants to go gold hunting (who are physically fit and willing to bake in the desert heat [under a tarp for shade])... Let me know if you'd be interested in shoveling some placer deposits. I have a blower/vac (for dry washing), plenty of buckets, classifying screens, and miscellaneous equipment. Many hands make light work, though I can't guarantee you'll find gold (I'm looking at the Black Mountain Wilderness boundary on BLM land. I know there's tungsten, and abandoned gold mines in the area).

Alternatively, if there are any rich sea-steaders who need a farmer of the biochemical sort, let me know (Craig Venter style - check him out if you've never heard of him).

I think that if I play ball with the government for a little bit, then I can save up resources and get out of the state(s), and start doing some serious good, in an anarcho-capitalist way... Carbon neutral gasoline, fish farms, and ocean freedom, and perhaps a "farming" community... Ha! I'll work toward that... Hopefully I can make a life outside of the state ASAP.

My logic/end game is that everything boils down to energy (food energy for humans, electrical energy, solar energy being converted into plant matter which becomes fuel energy, energy to manufacture things, energy to refine things, energy to automate things, energy to go on roller coaster rides and have a fun day at a theme park, energy to download podcasts from FDR, etc., etc.). As far as physical abundance goes, I think energy is the key. Granted, human desire is massively important, but, having little control over human desires, energy harvesting is my best strategy (since I'm not as good at affecting human desire on a large scale as Stef, or others). Therefore, if I can work toward being an energy/resource mogul, then I'll have a good life. A rising tide lifts all ships - I bet I could help foster some nice freedom by getting rich and trading energy. If I can make some nice biodiesel fatty algae strains, and LFTRs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK367T7h6ZY), then maybe I can live free and abundantly and be a beacon for others.

Go to international waters, work, earn resources, become free, rinse, repeat.

Thoughts?

Hey Christopher.  What country are you living in currently?  Have you considered other parts of the world where there might be more opportunity, lower cost of living, etc.?  If you are interested in mining, Mongolia in particular might be a really good place to check out, especially if you are entrepreneurially-minded.

I wanted to thank you for the suggestion. I'm not ready to make that kind of leap, yet. I need to practice a number of things first (also the language), and I need to gather more resources (or find a company that needs my skills, or investors).

Long story sort - I listened to some useful podcasts, and agree that money in the government is in a "state of nature" (and it's better that I get the money, if it means I can add more freedom and anarchy to the world). I hate justifying it, but the less power available to the government by reclaiming some personal freedom there can be - the better. It would be foolish not to acknowledge the systems in place, ignore reality, and fail at increasing voluntarism. I really think that having an off-shore business someday (which makes biodiesel algae, and fish) might be useful for the freedom movement (if you want to call it that, although I prefer "anarcho-capitalism" - an energy business at sea, outside of national boarders, seems like something that would benefit people).

It still feels dirty, but... I don't have many options, and I'm open to suggestions - I'll contract/subcontract (for the government) if it means I can survive and thrive.

Again, Thank you Todofixthis. I just need something more immediate.

Have a great day,

-Christopher

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.