Sweden Runs Out of Garbage?

It's certainly commendable, but the amateur economist in me wonders about the costs. The reduction in garbage is seen, but what is unseen?

I used to provide IT support for a company which produces engery from sewage via plasma gasification and various other processes. One of the challenges they faced was engineering a process that was self-sustaining and profitable.

If the Swedish program is centrally-planned, as opposed to market-driven, then it's devoid of profit and loss which makes it impossible to know if inputs exceed outputs. They could actually be unwittingly undermining their own future prosperity.

It's certainly commendable, but the amateur economist in me wonders about the costs. The reduction in garbage is seen, but what is unseen?

I used to provide IT support for a company which produces engery from sewage via plasma gasification and various other processes. One of the challenges they faced was engineering a process that was self-sustaining and profitable.

If the Swedish program is centrally-planned, as opposed to market-driven, then it's devoid of profit and loss which makes it impossible to know if inputs exceed outputs. They could actually be unwittingly undermining their own future prosperity.

I essentially agree, I think the one way to reduce waste to near zero is to stop the government paying for garbage collection. When people are made responsible for the costs of their own waste disposal they will start favouring products which are made with and packaged in materials that are either easy to recycle or biodegradable. That way they pay less.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.