Early Moments of Unverbalized Anarchy/Atheism?

I was wondering if anyone had instances in their childhood where they--even if for a brief moment--grasped the concept of anarchy and/or atheism.

A memory just came to me today that I'm becoming very fond of. I remember walking around a Wal-Mart and looking at the video games I want to buy. I could have only been 5-8, but looking at the prices, and I muttered to my self, "that's not the real price. I WISH it was only $50, but I know I'm gonna have to pay TAXES. Who the hell are these people taking all this extra money out of my pockets?"

And a more congruent memory that I've been conscious of for a while is every birthday and Christmas in my childhood, I would get loads of money from my family. Without even a negotiation, my mom just told me she was going to take a huge chunk of it to put in my school fund. I appreciate the sentiment that she thought I would go through that conventional route in life of doing well in school and post secondary to live the rest of my life living off the career I learned about IN that post secondary experience. Which I found really odd because that was around the time I was already skipping so much school because either my teachers were bullies, I had no friends, or the school work just didn't challenge me enough. SO it is beyond me why she would take my money against my will towards something that didn't even seem likely BACK THEN.

Anybody else have experiences or flashes of insight when the were young in which you understood atheism/anarchy? Please share! For me, the concepts were always there, but thanks to FDR, they've been verbalized and attached to reason, so I'm able to understand these beliefs much better now.

I'd describe myself as having a giant filter that makes me incapable of understanding or accepting what does not make sense rationally. In the past, I wasn't very much aware of the filter, but I was aware that I didn't understand what anyone was talking about. I always felt like the answers I was given were simplified, like telling a child about the stork in response to "where do babies come from?". I had quite a difficult time understanding words and rhetoric. Even more, I was completely shocked and confused towards the end of high school when I found out that teachers were government employees.

I would say that my view of society was for the most part was more an anarchic view, and I'd liken this to the points made in Everyday Anarchy. I think my perception of markets and businesses helped this quite a lot. Though more so, any irrational view of where the government fit into the bigger picture didn't quite make it past my filter.

Where things get confusing is that I am an ecosystem of parts, and some parts were quite patriotic and propagandized. This occasionally came out in a few essays, particularly one supporting Bush and the Iraq war, though the whole essay was really a critique of terrible liberal arguments. It is a rather difficult to get this across without it sounding like it contradictory, but trust that it isn't. If anybody knows what I am talking about and can get it across better, I'd appreciate it.

Right now I can't remember when it was only that it was years before I learned about anarco capitalism and freedomain radio. I was thinking about how best to organized society and came to the conclusion that a society where it was voluntary whether you should pay tax and take advantage of government services or not, I found it problematic to have a tax based health service because I didn't think you could deny a sick person entry and so there would be a funding problem. I left it there and thought about other things so it never got further.

Soren

This is so interestingly leftfield that I had to comment. Yes I recall a number of moments in my late teens early 20's when I considered taxes as a form of theft. I also remember living and working in Australia in my early 20's and attempting to emigrate there (unsuccessfully). It started me thinking how ridiculous all these borders were, but more importantly how restrictive it was to my (or anyone elses ) personal freedom. For perspective, I'm 44 now :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.