Paradise Found (1 Year in Costa Rica)

Josh F

I posted a topic over a year ago about my decision to move to Costa Rica.  I talked a little bit about some of my earlier problems and challenges, and after being here for a year I'm capable of fielding any questions you guys might have and discussing some of my observations. 

I spent most of the year living in the small Caribbean town of Puerto Viejo.  This town is unlike anything I have ever seen in my life.  Its a blend of rastafarians, natives called the BriBri, local Costa Ricans, and more expats from Europe and the US than I have ever seen.  It is lawless.  Not stateless, exactly, but lawless.  On average the town has about 2 corrupt or dispassionate police officers incapable of solving or preventing a single crime.  the community, however, wants for nothing.  Completely disillusioned by every single aspect of the government, these people know how much corruption is behind even education or environmentalism.  A few stupid, older, retired gringos and locals plea for more government interaction, but it isn't coming and mostly not welcome even by the non-violent towns people.  This world isn't one of lines, forms, contracts, rules, taxes, etc.  This world is about community, reputation, respect, etc.  It is almost like the wildwest.

Now, this isn't a glowing image, but for me I am glad to report that in a world where the government does NOTHING to help and only extort the population, people still find a way. 

Some examples of the free market in action in Costa Rica:

1.  People go to Panama to buy electronics to avoid the 33% import tax

2.  Save for alchohol. 

3.  To avoid paying a tax on glass, they will poor your coca cola into a plastic bag and give you a straw.

The population is incredibly skeptical of the government, I haven't met a single person from any political "party", and even though they may vote down a party line they're very critical.  3 of the last 5 presidents were arrested, 2 imprisoned.  THEY ALL READ THE NEWS PAPER.  And most important, the NEWS PAPER ACTUALLY HAS NEWS!!!On a personal level I am very happy.  I met a woman, and I now live in the quiet city of Heredia, which is a middle class friendly city right outside the Capitol San Jose. 

For Anarchists, I give Costa Rica a check. 

However, for Atheists..... well.... they love Jesus here.  No abortions, no gay marriage (well, they actually legalized gay marriage accidentally a few months ago, but it was an accident).  They're less and less catholic, Christianity is on the rise.  They know the new pope is designed to target them like Obama was designed to target liberal apologists. 

anyways if yall have any questions about costa Rica or the experience of Expatriation let me know I would love to share my info

Oh man, Costa Rica is one of my favorite places. I loved going through all the little mountain towns when driving from San Jose to the west coast. My buddie would get car sick on those roads. But know I think they have a big highway going west from San Jose.

if yall have any questions about costa Rica or the experience of Expatriation let me know I would love to share my info

Thanks for sharing. You make it sound like a little slice of heaven over there. :) How extensive and expensive was the expatriation process? Is there a website with accurate information on the employment rate in Costa Rica, something like the American Bureau of Labor Statistics?

I have found many websites with only somewhat out of date statistics on labor.  For the most part, if you're a young kid without a career in mind it is easy to find work in the tourist sector, from guides to hotels to bartending.  If you're career minded, Costa Rica will only allow you to gain residency if you provide specialized labor not available in Costa Rica.  For example, I know a guy who is the only licensed non-lethal weapon importer and was able to get his residency because of it.That being said, I am niether of those two categories myself.  Firstly, I have been making plenty of money doing web design work, which is all done under the table.  I also have some money saved to start a business.  Starting a business here is simple, much less complicated and expensive than in the US, of coruse depending on the business.  This is also a path to residency, especially if you employ (legally) Costa Ricans.  My business happens to be a website which is even easier, the site (which has just gone live) is www.pongale.com and it the first free business directory and review website (like Yelp) in the country.One thing about this economy is that it is almost like you came from 10 years in the future.  For example, they still have video and DVD rentals, and net cafes, and older business models.  They have limited access to importers.  The amount of distributors is small and uncompetitive.  I know someone who runs a shuttle company.  I designed their website.  They have the only modern looking website with online booking in their industry, which includes at least 5 competitors, and within only a year have become the number one providers.Jpah, that is a gorgeous drive.  It is beautiful green rolling hills, almost obscene ocean views with small island and little town, fruit stands on the road.  If you come back, try going east.  As you leave San Jose you enter Brillo Carillo.  You will head up the mountains and head through a tunnel.  When you appear on the other side it is as if you just arrived in Jurassic Park.  It is a massive cloud forrest with waterfalls and deep green canyons, prehistoric plants, and tropical birds.  It is different but equally as gorgeous.  Rent  650 to 220Transportation 620 (car payments, and gas) to 30 (public transportation)Utilities 250 to 20Food 400 to 500total from about 2000 to about 700.  Food and consumer goods are a little more expensive in general, and especially if you consume American products.  For example, Dorritos could cost you up to $5 a pack, but the local brand Ranchos is only $1.50.  However, rent and utilities and traditional monthly expenses are far cheaper.  I rent a gorgeous 2 bed 2 bath beach front house with a 20 ft cieling, tiled floors, full kitchen, the works for only $600 a month.  That is $300 per person!

• 3 weeks later...

Something to add here too is that I think I've been experiencing racism for the first time in my life.  I'm a white guy, but here it doesn't quite mean the same thing.  This is generally true anywhere in the world, white people are at a higher risk for theft, people try to overcharge us, and the legalities of work are tricky and disadvantaging.  Additionally, here, they quite asually call you a gringo, which is basically a slang word for an American, but msotly just means white foriegner.  Now, they call asian people chinos and black people negros.  Young black girl are often referred to as negrita, and fat people are called gordos.  So I try not to take it too sensitively, but still, its racist.  One thing that strikes them as particularly American is apparently, and it is true I am realizing, we speak way too loudly!  Here where I live right now it is mostly white people, and with a good accent and grasp of Spanish I can usually slide by for like 5 minutes, so taxi drivers dont drive in circles to overcharge me and people give me fair prices at the butchers.  In poorer places in the country I stand out much more.

... with a good accent and grasp of Spanish I can usually slide by for like 5 minutes, so taxi drivers dont drive in circles to overcharge me and people give me fair prices at the butchers.  In poorer places in the country I stand out much more...

I've not been to Costa Rica, but in other Spanish-speaking countries I've discovered that speaking ANY Spanish is enough to get the same prices as locals get. I'm sure I still stand out, but not so much when compared to the loud English-speaking tourists.

Incidentally, people from the United Kingdom become just as loud as people from the United States, when speaking English in a non-English-speaking country.

Some examples of the free market in action in Costa Rica:

1.  People go to Panama to buy electronics to avoid the 33% import tax

2.  Save for alchohol. 

3.  To avoid paying a tax on glass, they will poor your coca cola into a plastic bag and give you a straw.

counter-economics

Sam Konkin would have been, and Neil Schulman probably is very happy!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter-economics

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.