Turings Apology?

FreedomPhilosophy

Alan Turing may be posthumously pardoned for his so called "crime" of being homosexual. Rather too late and the people who are apologising didn't even know him, let alone persecute him.

In this program I explain what happened and then reveal the "elephant in the room" that parlimentarians have mised.

Enigma codebreaker Alan Turing to receive posthumous pardon for homosexuality conviction 

At 2:20 you state that it is a "fundamental principle of law" that a crime requires a victim, but that is not a principle of English law. A defendant pleads guilty to breaking a law, not to harming a victim.

It is always wrong for a state to threaten violence against an adult for private consensual activities, whatever those activities are. But Parliament is not apologising to all the other homosexuals who were imprisoned in the past. They are only apologising to Turing, perhaps because he did cool stuff and was patriotic.

At 2:20 you state that it is a "fundamental principle of law" that a crime requires a victim, but that is not a principle of English law. A defendant pleads guilty to breaking a law, not to harming a victim.

It is always wrong for a state to threaten violence against an adult for private consensual activities, whatever those activities are. But Parliament is not apologising to all the other homosexuals who were imprisoned in the past. They are only apologising to Turing, perhaps because he did cool stuff and was patriotic.

One has to wonder what kind of psychology requires one to confess* to being "guilty" for not doing what other people want? I think English law is completely corrupt. Much came from the Romans who were imperialists, for whom any objective morality would of been impossible although the use of guilty/not guilty is later. I need to look at Roman law more, either way I think it's a fact that law has been created by criminals. The victors write history.*Guilty is not a plea, but a confession and I therefore suspect is of religious significance. Also possible that guilt derives from the old English word gieldan (to pay a due) although OED dismisses this?

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=guiltI think someone has been reported to of pointed out the unfairness of only Turing receiving an apology/pardon and not all the others who were wronged. It's seems like a reasonable point to me. But then the perpetrators are long gone. 

If the state apologises to enough people for enough things, perhaps eventually its livestock will expect the state to stop doing things for which it will need to apologise in the future. Except that the state only apologises for things that it did a LONG time ago.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.