expanding the network

TheTeslaAdvent

hello all, first off apologies if this is a copy thread.

so as we know there is kind of this free market of libertarian media right now. from avtm, to corbett report, to FDR and a whole bunch of them. but the problem with that is, were not really in a free market. and the real competition already has the monopoly.

i was thinking there must be some entrepreneur, or intelligent solution, that can combine all these libertarian shows somehow. i know ron paul has his own network, but thats like 3 times a week right? why not have that, plus the avtm 7 nights a week show, plus the FDR specials and sunday show, and any other shows, (maybe deathsquad?)  all under one subscription or website. and people can tune into to the intelligent content that they like when they want, like a tv show.

no tv station has just one show on it. why separate everyone when the real competition is already monopolized.   

thoughts ?

I have thought many times that this would be interesting, but I don't even watch TV anymore. I use netflix, hulu or torrent things. For FDR or AVTM I download shows and listen to them on-demand, often at work. I think this is the direction things are going.

I would prefer an all-in one aggregator that advertised shows, had teaser clips, and would allow me to discover new content. However, most of my listening and watching is what I want, when I want it.

Make a libertarian/anarchist hulu or netflix and I would subscribe to that.

I only really listen to FDR. What other channels/podcasts/shows you would have on this hypothetical TV station?

I never really got into AvtM. I liked listening to the Love Police for a while. There was (is?) Porc Therapy which was kind of cool. Free Talk Live has some decent stuff. I've watched everything Jeff Tucker has on YouTube. Other than that, I'm not really aware of what else is out there along this vein.

One suggestion I have is that if you have a list of shows you'd love to share and have all in the same place, you could mirror those videos or set a backdrop to the audio and create a YouTube channel made up of that. There are some relatively successful channels that do that already but not really of these kinds of channels (more economics than the stuff on FDR or AvtM). You could break things down into smaller chunks like a single sunday show call or a really good Stef rant or something like that. You could do that without having to buy any software and while editing can take time, at least you aren't having to come up with all this material yourself and present it.

People watch Youtube more than they watch TV nowadays. The monopoly you speak of is quickly disappearing. 

I've had the same thought. I'm a web developer so finding solutions to things like this interest me. I started a project a while back and never finished it. You know how it goes. Things get busy and what not. I'd be willing to give it a go again if people here are interested in such a venture.

Right now all I have is an rss feed that pulls in multiple rss feeds and combines them into 1. I was experimenting with embedding youtube videos, but time was not on my side. I did make substantial gains with it though. There are some technical issues with the various rss feeds, but I'm confident I can solve them with some time and effort.

If anyone wants to contribute any ideas I look forward to hearing them.

interesting ideas. i dont really watch tv myself either, i dont even have one hooked up. and also thanks to youtube and other services we can now watch whatever we want when we want. although i still like live shows online. an rss feed would be neat, especially if it could work on various smartphones. i like the flipboard app for the android, but it can be improved upon. an aggregate youtube channel wouldnt be a bad idea either. a thought i had might be like an anarchistic website or youtube channel or something. where anyone could post any media they had, like a youtube (moderated by some mods to make sure the content is liberty minded), but it would also have the channel section, like at certain times you can expect to tune into certain shows.

now this could all just be done through links, or we could have the support of a "network". i think its scalable, but very usefull. if the major networks already have the monopoly , why not try this. it would still have the free market anarchist way of creating content, but in a networked and professionally distributed way. i have nothing past that though , im just dropping ideas and conversation.   

If anyone wants to contribute any ideas I look forward to hearing them.

I'm just curious what hurdles you ran into. I've got a decent amount of experience with this so I might be able to contribute something. Who knows, you could maybe start a git repo and get a decent number of contributors. There are an oddly high number of technically savvy people on the FDR boards.

Just an idea.

I'm just curious what hurdles you ran into. I've got a decent amount of experience with this so I might be able to contribute something. Who knows, you could maybe start a git repo and get a decent number of contributors. There are an oddly high number of technically savvy people on the FDR boards.

Just an idea.

I was trying to add a bit of customization for the user by adding an option for filtering the feed. I'm familiar with how regular expressions operate, but in practice I have a bit of trouble. I usually write them and then have to edit a few times to get the results I want. The problem is that the filter does not work the same on all the feeds. Such as, a youtube feed will filter properly, but a feed from a news site wouldn't. I don't think it will be terribly difficult to figure out, but I just haven't had time to do it. This project is just experimenting with ideas and sharpening my coding skils. I follow a work ethic of "work before play", so this project was set aside. it's been a while since I've messed with it, but I wouldn't mind picking it up again.

I would definitely consider making the project open source, but I would first need to figure out what direction I want to take this project in. What I setup in my experiment is, a user sets up their rss feeds and gets updates either through an rss reader or online via my site. The user can then view youtube videos directly from youtube by clicking the link in the rss feed or view the video that is embedded into the site. Either way, you have all your rss feeds in one place. :thumbsup:

I'd be interested to hear what kind of features supporters of this project would like to see. If anyone has something in mind, feel free to comment. I'm always open to new ideas.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.