How to tell if you're over studying when you could be...

Naer

• 3 weeks later...

Study is an investment. If it costs you more then you will ever get back, then you are spending to much on education. To answer that question yourself, you need to study the kind of jobs you are interested in and the kind of qualifications you need or the different career paths you can take. 

You have to take into account your values and what you want to do with your life to ask that question. As pointed out by others, if you are studying for a career in engineering, you are deferring current income for future income. If you are training to become a professional in an area that doesn't pay well, then you are deferring money in the present for a better work life in the future. Perhaps you prefer learning over a greater income.

It may be my personality, but I love learning and go through a numerous amount of informational content that has no real practicality in my life. I find the vast majority of subjects to be so interesting. I'd prefer a lower income and more or an opportunity to learn than a higher income and less of an opportunity to learn.

When I was at university in the 1970s, plenty of people were working part time and studying part time. The university scheduled enough evening classes that it was even possible to work full time if you wanted. Of course it took five years instead of three to get the degree, but it's a great way to gain qualifications while earning money.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.