The cost of romanticizing nature

I'm watching Stefan's conversation with Redmond Weissenberger now. The points being made about the potential horrors that nature can contain, rather than some "bambified" benevolent paradise, reminded me of the film Grizzly Man.

I highly recommend viewing it for a sad example of a man who swallowed the "save the planet" pill. Blind to his desperate pursuit to feel genuinely connected to another human being he steps into the wild to play with fire, in search of "warmth", resulting in tragic consequences.

I'm watching Stefan's conversation with Redmond Weissenberger now. The points being made about the potential horrors that nature can contain, rather than some "bambified" benevolent paradise, reminded me of the film Grizzly Man.

I highly recommend viewing it for a sad example of a man who swallowed the "save the planet" pill. Blind to his desperate pursuit to feel genuinely connected to another human being he steps into the wild to play with fire, in search of "warmth", resulting in tragic consequences.

People often forget that we lived in tight-knit tribes for hundreds of thousands of years. We required them to survive in the wild. Nobody survived in the wild for long alone.

Even today, when we seem to be alone, we're relying on a huge network of resources and technologies that have involved others in order to survive.

So there is certainly a romantic element to nature, even in its dangers, but to attempt to survive all of those dangers in isolation is extremely misguided.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.