Saying farewell to your worst nightmare

PhilipJ

This is a great video, thanks for posting. I get a lot of empathy for the inner child and by extension the children out there. The video resonates sadness and compassion for the children but also optimism by showing that the nightmare doesn't last forever.

Phil,

I'm not sure I totally agree since many people's worst nightmares involve having their power of choice taken away from them. For example, if you are taken hostage, you may not have any more ability to escape than a child. (It's even conceivable that depending on the situation you have less. After all children do sometimes run away but what if you're tied up or something?) Depending on how extreme or non-extreme your childhood abuse was, there are plenty of adult situations that could be even more frightening than what someone went through as a child.

However, I do agree that there are also lots of cases where fears are coming from inner child parts that have not really understood that we are no longer children and do - at least in our usual everyday state - have a lot more resources and power at our disposal than we did back then. They are burdened and stuck in time as IFS would look at it.

What I really liked is your message at the end, the focus on the situation of children today and the overly narrow definitions of abuse. I find it interesting that Stefan's message on FDR, time and again, is that parenting is really the main and perhaps only serious leverage point we have for improving our world sustainably in the long run. Yet it seems hard to keep people focused on that in an active way. We get caught up in all the symptomatic discussions and often fail to really put our energy into activism on that perhaps most important front.

A while back I posted this thread talking about that, which you might find worthwhile. Perhaps you'll agree with the message there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.