Splitting Up Quotes?

STer

Say someone has posted a few paragraphs and I want to reply by quoting them and then typing some things after each paragraph rather than only after the entire long quote of several paragraphs. I used to do this all the time. I'd have to go into the html and just copy the

and
tags and put them in the proper places with my typing outside of them. Not only would my typing end up interspersed properly, but each section of the quote would still refer back accurately to the original poster of it.

But now when I quote a post it is all put in one big quote and there is no simple way I can find to break it up to allow me to type in between parts of it. Can you tell me how I would go about doing that on this new version of the board.

[quote]  This is the quoted text you are referencing[/quote]

The result: 

Is this not what you mean?

Hah well I just learned through serendipity that yes, apparently just putting those quote commands around text in the main window does create quoting. In my original post I had typed them there to show what I was typing and instead got the actual effect where it put 'and' in quote format.

The problem is when you use the Quote button under someone's post, it pulls the whole quote in in the main window in this colored bubble format. Where do you then go to change it? Anything you type ends up within that bubble. It's a lot more work to copy and paste by hand each part.

Also, notice that the way it's done there just using the quote command in brackets, you lose the reference to where the quote came from that you get doing it by using the Quote button.

What I really want to be able to do is click Quote underneath someone's long post, and then just manipulate that to end and restart the quoting leaving me spaces to put my text in between.

This doesn't even get into what you do if you want to respond to pieces of multiple posts as quotes with each still referencing the original post. But I'm not even concerned with that right now.

Haha. Cool.

Isn't it? 

Anything about the structure of a post you want to recreate, you can press the "quote" button and turn on HTML mode (top left switch in the text editor) and see exactly what to type to do it. This goes for code blocks, lists, quotes, links, formatting, etc.

There it is. I couldn't figure out where that HTML button was. It's the only one that doesn't seem to say what it is when you hover over it. As you can see I'm sorted out now. Thanks.

but wait how did you get the user name, date and time in two split quotes? does it automatically happen when you...

Click quote on the post you want to quote. Then click the icon in the upper left which switches you to HTML view. When you click on the HTML, you'll see that the initial quote tag has that info (the user and the post number) within it. So you just put the end quote where you want and then put the entire initial quote tag before the next part you want to quote and so on. Then they will all have all that info in them.

Click quote on the post you want to quote. Then click the icon in the upper left which switches you to HTML view.

When you click on the HTML, you'll see that the initial quote tag has that info (the user and the post number) within it. So you just but the end quote where you want and then put the entire initial quote tag before the next part you want to quote and so on. Then they will all have all that info in them.

Whoa this level of HTML looks weird. I'm only used to the [tags] like this [/tags] hope this worked btw. In which case, thanks! If not. Pooey!

Whoa this level of HTML looks weird. I'm only used to the [tags] like this [/tags] hope this worked btw. In which case, thanks! If not. Pooey!

Looks like it worked. You didn't type anything under the top quote. But you did separate them and got all the info on both. So I think it worked.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.