Everything you do is...

Kevin Beal

I listened to this one about a year ago, and have to say that the reasoning in it has really had an impact on me. It don't think it is so much the concept as I think so many people including myself have had similar thoughts, but more how it is presented and argued. The emphasis on the "compared to what" was a big clicking moment for me.

It is a bit weird to say, but I have been gradually more and more able to objectively judge myself. I still have further to go as it is more a process of changing the direction of something with a large amount of moment, as in it takes times, but I anticipate seeing even more change in myself a year from now.

Right. I've also benefitted from that perspective.

I think part of the reason this had such a powerful impact on me is the amount of self doubt that I've suffered throughout my life. To think of all the times that I have felt so much doubt (and self loathing too) when there was no basis for any of it, it makes me angry. This critical voice in my head telling me that I've made a terrible mistake I should feel ashamed of, and then only afterward, after I've felt the shame, realizing that they were full of shit. This critical voice in my head is wrong more often than it is right and all of the suffering I've gone thru because of it.

Really it's not a voice in my head that is to blame. Having that voice in my head stopped me from taking lots of actions that could have seriously ended up badly for me as a child. Who's to blame are some very specific people who made the idea of me making mistakes feel like a life or death proposition.

Nevertheless this defense persists for me as an adult, and I think it does for lots of people. It may be (and probably is) a complete projection on my part, but I get a very strong sense that so many people are very risk averse like I was for most my life and that the perspective elaborated upon in this podcast is a powerful way to de-normalize this sort of approach to possible mistakes.

Therapy definitely helps too, but mostly I just wanted to share this podcast with people who might not have heard it before or could benefit from a re-listen.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.