UPB University Penetration Project

Would there not be considerable value in making a project of sending a hard copy of UPB to every philosophy professor of ethics in the country?

At worst it will end up in the libraries of most of the universities for students to stumble upon, at best some professors will incorporate it into their courses - either critically or with enthusiasm for it - I wouldn't be surprised if many wrote an article about it or posted rebuttals online which would be useful if Stefan ever wanted to write UPB 2nd Edition with an appendix of common objections which he wanted to rebut based on his experiences on the show since he first wrote it.

The best way to get people talking about UPB is in things like the uiversity system where youngsters love to chat and debate everything and anything over a beer or game of xBox - even if it is presented very critically there will be fascination from some quarters.

I am willing to throw some shekels at this project if it is adopted.

This sounds tempting, but I do not think it would work. I would donate to such a project if I could be convinced that it would be added to libraries, taught in courses, or articles written about it. Right now, I am somewhat pessimistic about the prospects of that happening.

Interesting idea. I'm not sure how much value there is in sending out physical copies when the ebook and audiobook is available for free online to whomever would like to view it.

If anybody else has thoughts on this subject and feels sending out physical copies would provide value, I'd love to hear their thoughts.

I do think a physical copy would give it more credibility and make it more likely to be read with intellectuals. Many people have not advanced with e-book development. However, the cost would be much, much less to send free digital copies to all the philosophy teachers or departments, even if we paid someone to acquire email addresses or something. This to me seems more likely to be discarded, but also much cheaper to implement. 

I would say we would need empirical evidence. Send it to maybe 10 philosophy professors/departments and see what the results are. This could be funded easily (even by you on your own if the free resources are used) to provide proof of concept.

If nothing or very little happens then we know it would probably be a waste of time. If we see results of articles, or course changes, or something that shows measurable results then we would be able to have an idea of what the response might be if it were widened. Then the results can lead to an educated decision as to how worthwhile it would be.

If proof of concept is determined, then I would support the idea, but like Mike I do have doubts that it would work.

We can pick whatever reasonable number that would show a good statistical representation that would be very easy and cheap to achieve and then define what "success" would mean.

Finally, we should try to eliminate variables when possible (maybe send only to philosophy department head), and when impossible try to encompass all potential variables (maybe send one to one college in each different state and territory in US and Canada). Someone should be able to design a test project to prove out the theory or determine it is a waste of time.

yes when we send it to the head we should say "please pass this short resource on for the consideration and argumentation of your ethics professor" so it would be being handed down from an authority to the particualr professor and he might think oh gosh I could write something on this and people would read it - yay me!

you know how keen people are on their opinions

• 4 months later...

An idea that might work, rather than handing out books. But requires some big kahunas from those that decide to give it a go. Is if individuals (like myself or others), offer to give a free lecture on UPB at major universities. That would give it more of a kickstart I think.As a tantalizer you could name it, 'The is/ought dichotomy resolved'.. :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.