Stef's recommended reading list?

Rayne

Hello!

I remembered Stef mentioning a few weeks (months?) ago that he would be posting a recommended reading list on the site.  Has this occured?  Is it in the works?  I am very much interested in the primary sources that influenced his decision to start FDR and write UPB. 

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I've been considering getting an audible account myself and I plan on starting with philosophy stuff.  I usually like to underline and make a lot of notes as I read, but i'm so used to listening to philosophy, I think I could pick up the fundamental stuff in audio.  I'd be interested in this list.

I think I'm going to start building up a collection of books that Stefan mentions throughout his podcast series, both past and future. It seems it might be the only way we are going to get a comprehensive reading list of his. That said, it probably would take Stefan some time to compose a list himself, as I imagine he has read quite a few other the years.

If we all chuck in books he's mentioned with a podcast timestamp, we can probably ask Mike to make the first post sticky and the author can just update as people add to it. Seems like the best option in my opinion.

We're all about the free market here so it would seem that more money with this recommendation attached to it or more listeners asking about this would motivate him. There probably just isn't enough people who have expressed a desire for this as opposed to other projects he is working on. I'd like the reading list too but I like the truth about episodes more.

• 2 weeks later...

Add me to the list of people looking forward to a good reading list!

Here's the books that I've managed to write down/buy as he mentions them:

John Bradshaw workbooks (which I haven't been able to find)

Malcolm Gladwell's "Blink"

John Brockman's What is Your Dangerous Idea

Nathaniel Branden's The Psychology of Self Esteem
Thomas Gordon's Parent Effectiveness Training

Gabor Maté’s In The Realm of Hungry Ghosts

Peaceful Parenting (there's 2 or 3 books by this name and I'm not sure which one Stefan recommends)

It seems like there's been dozens of others mentioned but these were the ones that interested me or my wife enough to buy them.

Why doesn't somebody just make a thread of their own recommended books and then other people can post theirs.

A. You'll get a bigger list of books covering a broader range of topics.

B. When you're looking for Stef's recommended list it's like your putting the guy up on some pedestal as if he were some ancient wizard on a mountaintop where only the most in-depth and sacred of lore can be found. lol. I mean you have to figure that most of the people on the board are of reasonable enough intellect to discern whether a book is quality or garbage, and I'd have faith that a community compiled list would be a gold-mine of information.

Why doesn't somebody just make a thread of their own recommended books and then other people can post theirs.

A. You'll get a bigger list of books covering a broader range of topics.

B. When you're looking for Stef's recommended list it's like your putting the guy up on some pedestal as if he were some ancient wizard on a mountaintop where only the most in-depth and sacred of lore can be found. lol. I mean you have to figure that most of the people on the board are of reasonable enough intellect to discern whether a book is quality or garbage, and I'd have faith that a community compiled list would be a gold-mine of information.

The reason is pretty simple. There are people in your life or people you have heard of that you believe are experts in certain fields. Because of that you take their advice more seriously over others. In this case we believe Steph is more qualified to give a reading list on the topics he discusses on the show. That doesnt mean that because Steph is believed to be more qualified that that makes everyone else by default completely unqualified.

I mean you wouldn't say to everyone here just put together a reading list on physics would you? Steph has proven to me at least that he can be trusted in his advice so im gonna pull the division of labor card on you and say I'll wait for him to come up with his list.

• 2 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.