Can healing from trauma be FUN?

PhilipJ

As far as having fun with the actual exploration of our histories goes (specifically regarding the trauma there), I think that it is actually possible. (Assuming fun = funny).

I would make a distinction between looking at the actual acts involved, the neglect, the abuse and then looking at the irrationality that is behind those actions. For example, I would find it nearly impossible to laugh about the fact that I was made to feel small as a child, but the reasoning given for it is kind of hilarious. That I should put toxic people's needs before my own because that means that I'm the enlightened, mature and virtuous one. What?!

The kinds of rationalizations I internalized are so crazy that I'm flabbergasted that I could have believed them in hindsight.

At least, I find that kind of thing funny sometimes and have a good laugh about it.

It's weird though, because I'm not finding that particular example funny at the moment. Using my desire for virtue against me and all. I swear it was funny the other day...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.