Help Choosing a Major

FireShield

I'm a freshman in college and currently majoring in chemical engineering.  The jobs typically pay well and are in high demand, and I'd probably be pretty good at it and not too bored.  However... what I really want to do is write for a living.  Books, movies, TV shows, video games - anything that would allow me to come up with an interesting, complex plot.  But I can't guarantee that I'll be successful doing that - I have so many good ideas for books, movies, etc. but I have a hard time getting around to actually writing them (I prefer thinking them, visualizing them, and perfecting the idea).  So what I was planning to do is get a job in the field of chemical engineering and write books on the side, and if the books sell well, I'd write for a living.

But I was talking with one of my friends earlier about the ideas I have for some of my books, and he said I should major in English since I seemed so interested in it and disinterested in engineering (and he's not one for rash decisions).  My problem is that I have so many things I want to do and so many things I'm good at (I'm good at and am interested in everything except the fine arts, basically), so it's hard for me to choose.  I am interested in EVERY field of engineering, and there are dreams that I have of things I'd like to accomplish in each, as well as in other fields of study.  I wish I could live forever so I could accomplish everything I want to accomplish, but that's obviously impossible.

The thing I'm worried about if majoring in English is making money.  I could make money writing on a blog or writing articles online, and maybe read those articles on YouTube and monetize my videos, but that wouldn't make much money.  I guess I could work for some company in some writing position but... this gets to what I think is the real problem: I'm extremely shy, and not only am I worried about eventually going for an interview or working at a business, but also I don't think I'll be able to make myself try to make connections and develop relationships with professors or join clubs, or do things to distinguish myself in college to be able to get good jobs later.  I think that by wanting to just write independently for a living, I'm just trying to avoid having to do this .

Don't get me wrong, I really do want to write (or make movies, TV shows, or video games), but I'm not sure that pursuing that dream is the smartest thing for me to do.  Should I continue majoring in chemical engineering, and maybe minor in English and write on the side?  Or should I switch to a major in English and do everything I can to make money starting now so I can afford to live (I plan on living in a mini-house, since that would be much cheaper and, since I'm so shy, I will probably be single my whole life, and I'm also extremely introverted so I doubt I'd have company very often)?

Oh yeah, as for minors, I'm currently going to get a minor in math by the end of my sophomore year since I'm taking an Advanced Calculus sequence for the first four semesters that fulfills all requirements for a math minor.  If I major in chemical engineering, I'll minor in both English and math.  However, if I choose to major in English, I'll still minor in math, but should I get a minor in something else, or maybe get a double major?

Hi Fireshield

My first question would be, how are you paying for uni?  Are your folks indifferent in the equation?  Could you put off the decision for a year?

You sound like a well-grounded and realistic person, but so much is new as a freshman and so much can change in that time--to be able to just think on this question for some time, I think the answer would become clear to you.

good luck!

I am wondering why you couldn't take a break from school to write. You could get a part time job to pay bills, put yourself all-in on writing for a few years, either gain certainty in failure or in success and could always go to school after certainty is gained. You do not need to major in English to write. You just need to get out there and write, especially with the ability to self-publish e-books on Amazon and such.

Worst case scenario, you have the experience, decide what you want to major in, no longer feel regret at not being a writer as you tried your hardest, and then go to school slightly later with hopefully a little bit of money more than you had before.

Hi Fireshield

My first question would be, how are you paying for uni?  Are your folks indifferent in the equation?  Could you put off the decision for a year?

You sound like a well-grounded and realistic person, but so much is new as a freshman and so much can change in that time--to be able to just think on this question for some time, I think the answer would become clear to you.

good luck!

My parents are paying for it entirely.  It's UConn, and I live in Connecticut, so it's really cheap compared to other colleges - the agreement was that my parents would pay for the price of UConn regardless of what college I go to, and if I went to one that was more expensive, I would have to pay for the rest (I also got a $5000/year scholarship from UConn, so with the money they're saving from that, my parents are going to buy me my own car).

I am wondering why you couldn't take a break from school to write. You could get a part time job to pay bills, put yourself all-in on writing for a few years, either gain certainty in failure or in success and could always go to school after certainty is gained. You do not need to major in English to write. You just need to get out there and write, especially with the ability to self-publish e-books on Amazon and such.

Worst case scenario, you have the experience, decide what you want to major in, no longer feel regret at not being a writer as you tried your hardest, and then go to school slightly later with hopefully a little bit of money more than you had before.

I know you don't need a major in English to write (which is why I was originally planning to major in chemical engineering and write on the side).  I think I'll continue doing what I'm currently planning on doing.  I'll just try to devote more time to writing (rather than playing video games).

My parents are paying for it entirely.  It's UConn, and I live in Connecticut, so it's really cheap compared to other colleges - the agreement was that my parents would pay for the price of UConn regardless of what college I go to, and if I went to one that was more expensive, I would have to pay for the rest (I also got a $5000/year scholarship from UConn, so with the money they're saving from that, my parents are going to buy me my own car).

I know you don't need a major in English to write (which is why I was originally planning to major in chemical engineering and write on the side).  I think I'll continue doing what I'm currently planning on doing.  I'll just try to devote more time to writing (rather than playing video games).

You have a perfect set-up: no financial worries, well-paid and usually rewarding career ahead and a fantastic hobby to fill up the free time.

You can always take writing related classes while majoring in engineering. It will help you test whether or not you have what it takes to be a writer, sharpen your writing skills and provide a much needed break from all the engineering you’d be studying.

I'm a professional writer, although not the fun kind.  I write on management theory and technology trends for large companies.  I earn a nice paycheck (low-mid six figures) and don't work a very tough schedule.

My degree is in water color painting and acting without a single English class.  So in my experience, an English degree isn't necessary to become a writer and could cripple your earning potential.

Chemical engineering sounds way more interesting. And marketable.

I would seriously not conflate a desire to write fun fiction stuff that you enjoy with the activity of paying bills.  I'd separate them.  Use school to drive income*.  

Write on the side and do it with the reckless passion that someone does something they enjoy.  If you try to contort your fun writing into something that pays bills you will likely ruin it.  Maybe even hate it.

That you don't write anything concerns me.  All you need is a computer and notepad.  Or even just paper and pencil.  I'd recommend writing at least 10 or so stories/screenplays/video games, etc., and see how it goes before pursuing a nearly useless English major.

And, your English profs will likely completely take a shit on you if you want to write video games or movies or Sci-fi or comedy or anything that doesn't feel either academic or like proper art.

As for dating girls - this is the one spot an English major is greater than chemical engineering :-)

Just my opinions/assertions. 

* I didn't do this and don't regret getting a worthless art degree.  So you could totally convince me that the English major would be the way to go.

Welcome to FDR! :)

Thanks.

Why is that? What makes you attracted to fiction and escapism?

I guess it's because I have an extremely active imagination.  When I was really young, I would play imaginary games with my younger brother and with my friends, where we would pretend to be characters from video games or movies.  I also liked playing with Legos, and would have an on-going story in my head.  When I eventually outgrew Legos, I started coming up with ideas for Sonic the Hedgehog video games (which I was, and still am to a degree, a huge fan of), and even wrote out a few plot outlines for those games.  The reason why I want to be in control of that franchise it because it has so much potential, but it's not being met.  Also, I took a video game design and development junior year in high school, and I made a few games that were pretty fun, one of which I plan on remaking (I made the entire thing in 2 days so it was pretty rushed, but still played well) and turning it in to a 9 game series (not selling them or anything, just for fun).  My little cousin played one of the games and asked me to make one for him, so I'm doing that now.

In middle school, I wanted to eventually conquer the world.  When I eventually gave up on that, I came up with an idea for a book series where the plot is world domination (which I still plan on writing.  I later got more ideas that would be good for books.  As for movies, I don't have any unique ideas, but rather just want to make movie versions of my books.  And I don't have any ideas for TV shows, but I know I'd like to make them if I did come up with any ideas.

So you haven't actually written a novel or script yet?

Do you listen to Stef's podcast? Rather recently he mentioned the trap that so many wannabe aspiring writers who don't actually write anything fall into.

Perfecting ideas in your head is convenient, since you will never risk showing your ideas to anyone.

I took a creative writing class last year and wrote the first few chapters of the first book I plan on writing.  I also have written out a list of all the books I currently plan on writing in the order that I plan on writing them.  And, as I said, I wrote out a few extremely detailed plot outlines for Sonic games that I came up with.

I do, but I started listening to them last December, and want to listen to them all in order, so I'm still on Volume 3 (around podcast 640, still in year 2007), so I haven't listened to any of the recent ones yet (I'll catch up eventually though).  

Yeah, I'm kind of a procrastinator in general, but I don't think I'm afraid to share my ideas with anyone.  I've told my friends and family my ideas for all the books I plan to write, and they all thought they sounded good, as do I of course, so naturally I would want the world to experience them too.

Well, but chemical engineering sounds like a highly demanding full-time job. Usually writers use inheritance money or part time jobs and stay in low rent appartments so they have time to research and write. Writing is a lot of work, of course it depends on how much time you will spend editing your stuff, but if you are a perfectionist, writing an hour every day after coming home from a long day of work is not gonna get you anywhere.

If you want to write for Hollywood, you would also have to move there of course, I don't know if there are so many chem. engineering jobs in L.A.

I don't care how long it takes to write a book - I have plenty of patience.  As soon as one of them sells well (or I save up enough money from working to live off of for a few years), I'll write full time.

Great honesty on the part of your friend. But, seeming disinterested in engineering is a bit of a red flag. How did you make the decision to major in engineering?

Bad choice of language on my part: it's not that I'm disinterested in it, but I just didn't express much interest in it compared to the books I want to write.  I decided to major in chemical engineering because I looked at a list of majors that led to the highest paying jobs, and chemical engineering was one of them.  I also would be pretty good at it, since engineering is all about coming up with solutions to problems, and that's exactly what I'm good at.

Yes. I think what is a good way of figuring stuff out: If you had only ten years to live and could only do ONE thing, what would it be?

That's similar to a question I was asked not that long ago: if I could only accomplish one thing in my life, what would it be?  It would probably be writing the books (or controlling the Sonic franchise, but that's practically impossible).

Interesting. Tell us more. How was your childhood?

I've already figured out how I became so shy.  My older brother has always been really insecure, and as a result, has picked on me since we were really young.  When he was in middle school, a few of his friends made fun of him, and he, in turn, made fun of me.  At that time, I was a huge Sonic fan, still played with Legos, etc.  My older brother basically told me that I was a loser for liking that stuff and to not let other people know that I like it.  This got to me on two levels: consciously, I started talking about those things less and less, therefore talking in general less and less; and subconsciously, him constantly telling me that I was a loser extremely lowered my self esteem, until after a few years, I didn't talk to anyone other than my family and my small group of close friends.

No one can make decisions for you. My guess would be, once you start further examining yourself, your childhood, your parents, society, the whole writing thing is probably gonna go away. Maybe the engineering part as well.

I doubt it.  What I want more than anything is to leave as big of an impact on the world as possible, and to do that I need money (chemical engineering) and influence over the public (books).

Wow. That's a red flag dude. That's a BIG FREAKING RED FLAG!!! Being single your whole life, where do you got that notion from?

From the fact that I'm too shy to talk to anyone, including girls, and no one, including girls, almost ever start conversations with me (except my friends and family of course), and when they do I am extremely uncomfortable and seem unfriendly, and I've been single so far throughout my life.

Dude, this is not about your major, you get that? If it would be, you wouldn't have come here but rather went to your advisor or some career counselor.

Also, having your parents pay for everything usually comes with a price.

I would recommend you call in the show.

When talking to my friend, I originally said I'd talk to my advisor about it, but they aren't for things like this (what they're for is for problems like this: "Hey I want to change my major from chemical engineering to English, what classes do I need to take?"), so then I said I'll ask random people on the internet, since there are plenty of people to give me advice online.

I don't see any disadvantages.  I'll have no debt to pay, I'll have a good education, and I'll have my own car.

That would be awkward with my roommate in the room.

I'm a professional writer, although not the fun kind.  I write on management theory and technology trends for large companies.  I earn a nice paycheck (low-mid six figures) and don't work a very tough schedule.

My degree is in water color painting and acting without a single English class.  So in my experience, an English degree isn't necessary to become a writer and could cripple your earning potential.

Chemical engineering sounds way more interesting. And marketable.

I would seriously not conflate a desire to write fun fiction stuff that you enjoy with the activity of paying bills.  I'd separate them.  Use school to drive income*.  

Write on the side and do it with the reckless passion that someone does something they enjoy.  If you try to contort your fun writing into something that pays bills you will likely ruin it.  Maybe even hate it.

That you don't write anything concerns me.  All you need is a computer and notepad.  Or even just paper and pencil.  I'd recommend writing at least 10 or so stories/screenplays/video games, etc., and see how it goes before pursuing a nearly useless English major.

And, your English profs will likely completely take a shit on you if you want to write video games or movies or Sci-fi or comedy or anything that doesn't feel either academic or like proper art.

As for dating girls - this is the one spot an English major is greater than chemical engineering :-)

Just my opinions/assertions. 

* I didn't do this and don't regret getting a worthless art degree.  So you could totally convince me that the English major would be the way to go.

Yeah that's what I think I'll do.  And I think I realized what the problem is (why I haven't written it yet): I've felt like I need to do it, and so it automatically becomes less fun.  If I don't pressure myself to do it and just do it for fun, I'll probably be much more willing to do it.

If you want to write for a living, what is stopping your from doing it?Do you realize that if you're really good at writing, and people who teach at college are there mostly because they DON'T have a successful career in writing, is there anything you can learn from them that you wouldn't be able to from the Internet?

I think you will find that the secret for accomplishing things, is actually going out there and doing them, because if you keep waiting till you're ready for it, or for someone to push you in that direction, you will never actually do it. You can learn more from doing something, than reading about it."Some day is not a day in the week"

• 2 weeks later...

I actually changed my mind.  One of the courses that I'm required to take is Introduction to Computing for Engineers, and I've found that I love programming.  One of my friends also mentioned that a lot of the top students from our high school were majoring in Computer Science because it had one of the greatest pay:work ratios.  So, I plan on dual majoring in Computer Science and English (and still getting that minor in math because that would help me with programming), and then get a job as a video game programmer, while writing books on the side.  Work my way up in the company, and, if my books are successful, perhaps be able to write the plots for games and eventually produce my own games.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.