Lost interest in movies

I used to be a big movie watcher.  I was always looking for the latest movies that came out.  Always searching for the gems that no-one knew about.  Had a reasonably big DVD collection.   It used to be something I looked forward to.  I was always looking for times when I could indulge in watching maybe a few hours of movies.

And then I found economics.  And philosophy.  And the truth about the world.

And I lost interest in movies at the same time.

And now I couldn't tell you what the big movies of the year were.  Or even many at all.  Or even give recommendations about good movies to watch.  I've just lost interest.  In the last 5 years there have been a few movies that I've watched, but not all that many.  And I'm finding myself becoming even less interested as time goes by.  

Is this just me?  I've wondered if maybe it's just an age thing or whatever but it did seem to coincide almost perfectly with my philosophical interests, so I don't know...

You're not alone in this regard, as I've also had the same experience since delving in to philosophy. Along with a loss of interest in movies, I've also lost any interest in television.

It would seem logical that studying philosophy is intrinsic to spending more time examining one's feelings, emotions, and furthering self-knowledge. While that would explain the actual use of time spent pursuing another endeavor like philosophy, as opposed to time spent on watching movies or television, it doesn't address the loss of interest in them.

For myself, I had concluded that the loss of interest could be attributed to not wanting the outside influence of fiction to interfere with my emotional condition as I explored my personal thoughts and feelings. I'm not sure if that's an accurate interpretation on my part; however, it would be interesting to find out if this interpretation is anywhere near the mark. I welcome any insight to my line of reasoning.

yes, I've found that philosophy tends to lift the veils on most of the drivel in popular culture and reveal it for what it is.  I find myself automatically asking what are people's motivations - the athletes, the fans, the actors, the writers, the producers, and of course the audience.  But there is some good art out there.

I find some of it interesting. I like to try to do things similar to what Stef does where I draw conclusions about society, or I pretend the whole thing was a dream and what might certain things be as symbols or meanings, or try to imagine what the histories were of the writers/producers when the story is told as if it is an accurate view of the world.

I certainly watch less than I used to and find many things sadistic and stomach-turning more than I used to. However, I find that this view of media can make it enjoyable and challenging on occasion.

It has helped me with metaphor and symbolism for my own dreams at least.

I used to be a big movie watcher.  I was always looking for the latest movies that came out.  Always searching for the gems that no-one knew about.  Had a reasonably big DVD collection.   It used to be something I looked forward to.  I was always looking for times when I could indulge in watching maybe a few hours of movies.

And now I couldn't tell you what the big movies of the year were.  Or even many at all.  Or even give recommendations about good movies to watch.  I've just lost interest.  In the last 5 years there have been a few movies that I've watched, but not all that many.  And I'm finding myself becoming even less interested as time goes by.  

Is this just me?  I've wondered if maybe it's just an age thing or whatever but it did seem to coincide almost perfectly with my philosophical interests, so I don't know...

I sympathize with your disenchantment in modern cinema. The reality is that modern movies are absolute garbage in general with rare exception. They focus very little on narrative and mostly on cheap effects and mediocre to poor acting.

I'd suggest if you want to see what movies can really do then start watching some classics from the early age of cinema. You really are missing out on a tremendous amount of deep and profound stories, dynamic acting and characters that communicate a wide range of emotions and ideas. One of my favorites is "On the Waterfront" with Marlon Brando, an exceptionally acted movie with strong character development throughout.

People have always complained about quality of TV or music. It's nothing new. Yes there is a lot of junk in the cinema and cliches but that has always been the case. Take music. Justin Bieber and 1 Direction are manufactured and haven't produced that much quality music. They live by hype. However, if you look around the internet you will fin many indie artists with talent and because they don't have a PR team or lots of funding, they have to rely on innovation and good quality music. IMO we are lucky as the last gen had to rely on MTV and perhaps underground tapes for their discography. In short: there is great stuff out there but you have to find it. 

For me, lack of interest in movies comes from feeling like life was a movie, one that I wasn't part of. I was the passive audience, and everyone else got to play parts. Sitting in front of a movie, especially one that I don't enjoy (which is most of them because most of them are similar) reminds me of that passive feeling of watching other people live. There's no possibility of connection between me and them. I don't get any input. I can't express thoughts, feelings, or preferences. And nothing I say or do will have any impact on the people I'm watching. That pretty much describes my childhood, and much of my adulthood, prior to self-knowledge and philosophy. Why would I want to spend any more time like that? If I watch a movie with someone — an intelligent, curious, empathetic, thoughtful person — discussing it afterwards can be grand joy and fun. But I'd still rather be talking than sitting and staring at a screen. 

I once heard people in modern society described as "the people who stare." 

I think part of it is as well, my ability to learn things has improved so much.

A lot of watching TV and movies early on in my adult life was me trying to glean information.  I was like a starving man searching in garbage cans desperately for any kind of sustenance.  Now that I've found good sources and improved my own way of thinking and learning, I guess the garbage cans look pretty stinky and uninviting now.  Not sure if that analogy works or not, just came up with it on the spot  :)

And yes, the number of times I hear different people repeat something that has been on the "news" the night before almost word for word is quite creepy.  TV zombieland.

• 1 month later...

If you've noticed my picture, I obviously have a thing for movies.  Kurosawa, is probably my favorite artist, of any kind.  So I may as well recommend "Ikiru" if you haven't seen it.  It's the story of a city hall bureaucrat in postwar Japan, who gets diagnosed with cancer, and decides to use his "power" to help build a park for children.  It sounds like something an Anarchist would hate, but he turned the concept into one of the most beautiful films of all time.  It's about how ridiculously difficult it is, to do even the simplest thing in the insane machine modern life has created.  I think anyone who loves philosophy, would enjoy the film.

Also, my signature, from "Record of a Living Being", about a Japanese man so terrified of a nuclear holocaust, that he wants to sell his family mine, and home, and move them all to Brazil.  They want him committed.  Some call it Kurosawa's "Doctor Strangelove".  The fact I'm 30, and these are the movies I'm recommending, though, shows you my regard for modern cinema.  Stand up has been good lately...  Stanhope, Louis CK, Joe Rogan and co...

It's the story of a city hall bureaucrat in postwar Japan, who gets diagnosed with cancer, and decides to use his "power" to help build a park for children.  It sounds like something an Anarchist would hate, but he turned the concept into one of the most beautiful films of all time. 

LifeIsBrief,

How ironic that in our other thread we're talking about whether someone in a government position can restrain his exercise of power and then I come in this thread and you just posted this about a film focused on a person in a government position using his power to try to help children. Not to start any other discussion. Just a funny coincidence.

• 2 months later...

I have had a similar experience. I used to like movies and TV, though I was not a movie buff, but after finding philosophy I can't really watch either anymore. The characters and how they are portrayed is what really made me not want to watch either movies or TV, but I think i have seen it more in TV. It seems to me that a lot of the characters that people find good, heroic, or funny are really not that great of people and they display little to no virtue in their actions. This also happened with comedians for me as well. I used to love watching comedians but whenever I do so lately all I see is abused children trying to normalize their abuse through laughter rather than trying to move past it. I don't think every comic does this, but a good amount of the ones I have seen do. I also used to be an avid video game player and while I will still enjoy and play some games its either out of habit or because I want to have fun with some friends and they also play games. I think what a person said earlier on this thread is true for me, that once I started to journey down the road of philosophy the veil on popular culture was lifted and I didn't like what I saw.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences on this topic, I have been wondering if anyone else had a similar reaction.

I haven't lost interest altogether. In fact, since studying philosophy and pursuing self-knowledge, I seem to binge on knowledge and then turn to light abnegation of movies and games while I process it all.

Now what TYPES of movies I go for have changed dramatically. I was never one for gore, but didn't mind stylized violence too much. Now I tend to be put off even by violent titles. Anything that glorifies the state or puts forth common misconceptions as factual givens put me off. Anything that normalizes childhood abuse I turn off immediately. I've also found that movies/shows that I can stand, I see in a whole new light.

I wonder how much interest there'd be in a list of movies/shows that were philosophically consistent.

Ever since getting in to philosophy my interest in film is higher than ever, and certainly more appricative. Before i would consume film like fast food, but now i treat film like a fine meal, something that needs to be cherisbed and given tjme to be disgested, so to speak. I would recommend sticking to a time period you like (1970s are a great bet) because modern film is yet to be filitered by time and so you will run into a lot of duds.

The last film i watched was "la belle noiseuse", a 1991 french film about the process of creating a pajnting and its effectz on the people invovled. The runtime was crazy, something like 4 hours , and there were only 2 or 3 locations really used, but it was seriously one of the most engaging films i have ever seen. The long takes of the artist literally drawing were so engaging. I havent had tbe urge to watch another film since, because this one is sti,l lingering in my mind

I hardly watch movies at all for several years

the only time I see them is at friends houses

now I moved in with my Gf I'm looking forwards to spending some evenings watching good movies since I feel spending all my time learning is sort of missing out on the point of learning which is to live a better life

• 1 month later...

I went through a phase where fiction just didn't satiate my appetite for wonder or stimulate my analytical side like non fiction. With non- fiction, the kind where not only facts are presented like a text book, but arguments are being made, I felt more involved. Like the material was not only interesting, but that I was partaking in a challenging game to figure out what was true or false. However, the more I've learned about psychology, dream analysis, and subliminal communication, I've found films to be more interesting than ever. Some questions that I ask myself while watching films are "I wonder what the implicit argument is in this film, I wonder what the art says about the creators childhood, I wonder what metaphores and symbols are subliminally being communicated as I'm watching?"So, now I look at films as just formalized dreams. Not only that, but recently I've been watching films with the commentary tracks on to find out what the creative team was thinking during production as well as how they achieved some of the technical aspects of making the film.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.