Ron Paul - The School Revolution: A New Answer for Our Broken Education System

Just

Has anyone read this book yet?  It came out a few weeks ago and is only about 200 pages.

Endorses home schooling.

Endorses Austrian economics, and 'alternative' forms of economics not taught K-12.

Focuses on the philosophy of liberty (how to define and defend), and the non-coercive/non-authoritarian necessities of public education, putting children and parents in charge, etc.

Really a great book, say what you will about the fellow - but I still see him as a hopeful bridge to authentic anarchism. Hell, because of Ron Paul 4 years ago I found Stef!  I thought it was really a great book and will hopefully be read by a good deal of folks

Whether or not you have children, you know that education is vital to the prosperity and future of our society. Yet our current system simply doesn't work. Parents feel increasingly powerless, and nearly half of Americans give our schools a grade of "C". Now, in his new book, Ron Paul attacks the problem head-on and provides a focused solution that centers on strong support for home schooling and the application of free market principles to the American education system. Examining the history of education in this country, Dr. Paul identifies where we've gone wrong, what we can do about it, and how we can change the way we think about education in order to provide a brighter future for Americans.

I've read the first third but have since lost it (will probably buy another copy).  Interesting points:

- He explicitly says that political action is the least effective way of achieving liberty (says the congressman of 30 years)

- The key will be with the self  -  i.e., individuals changing themselves for the better

- We might be able to do something if we get a large enough population to duck the public school system.  

Reading it, you'd almost guess the good Dr. has been listening to Stef (maybe save for the little religious speak).  Hopefully he will stop listening before he gets to "Dr. No Friend of Foe"

- He explicitly says that political action is the least effective way of achieving liberty (says the congressman of 30 years)

hah!  Hypocrisy can sometimes be so cringeworthy its actually enjoyable.

After reading the book I did see alot of parallels b/w his opinions and those of the FDR community as you said.  It was refreshing to come across a few novel ones too which made it a worthwhile read

did he say the coercive mentality of school is unkind to children

yea... You must have glossed over what I wrote at the top.  He recognizes the need to abandon the coercive structures of school, as tasmlab wrote, by starting with the individual and defending liberty.  Which sounds like big glossy glittering generalities, but it's written in terms of trying to incorporate first principals into school

hah!  Hypocrisy can sometimes be so cringeworthy its actually enjoyable.

I found the sentiment that political action was useless to be more refreshing than hypocritical.   It made me feel that he understood the contradictions of his position better than it might look.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.