In case you thought you knew something...

Guest darkskyabove

Guest darkskyabove

Here is a debate on the "Existence of Nothing".

This is the 2013 Isaac Asimov Memorial Debate. Hosted by Neil DeGrasse Tyson. Panel members: J. Richard Gott, professor of astrophysical sciences, Princeton University, and author of Sizing Up the Universe: The Cosmos in PerspectiveJim Holt, science journalist and author of Why Does the World Exist? An Existential Detective StoryLawrence Krauss, professor of physics, Arizona State University and author of A Universe from Nothing: Why There is Something Rather Than NothingCharles Seife, professor of journalism, New York University, and author of Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous IdeaEve Silverstein, professor of physics, Stanford University, and co-editor of Strings, Branes and Gravity Notice there are TWO journalists on the panel with FOUR physicists. My observation is that Mr. Holt was quite annoying, until recognizing that he is the contrarian. He refused to accept simple answers to complicated questions. Understand that this "conversation" is far outside the bounds of "accepted" science. There is much speculation and no definitive answers. That is the point of these "debates": to explore the bleeding edge of science (and its philosophical implications). Sidenote: There are many social implications played out in this debate. I don't mean in how the conversation affects humanity, but how the players interact amongst themselves. I spotted some. It might be enlightening to know what others spotted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OLz6uUuMp8

OK, I tried to embed this video and was told I'm not allowed to. Any help on embedding would be appreciated.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.