Bomb in the brain related question

BKRULE

Hey guys,

I just finished the Bomb in the Brain Youtube series and found it very informative.

The science behind how the brain reacts to stress during the first five or so years is truly fascinating.

I am curious as to whether or not Stef (or any of you guys) have any theories on prenatal violence and babies born prematurely? 

I was born 8 weeks premature because my mother was tackled by my father which forced an emergency cesarean, after which I lived in a humidi-crib at the hospital for 8 weeks for monitoring.

I guess what I'm asking is;

1.  Do you guys know of any studies/literature/videos/articles in relation to the ongoing effects of prenatal violence?

2. Know of any studies/literature/videos/articles in relation to the ongoing effects of people born prematurely?

Thanks a lot guys, much appreciated.

Wow, I'm so sorry this happened to you. I haven't looked up any studies, but I've had similar questions. I was also born two months premature. My mother said she fell on ice, which caused her to go into premature labor, but I wonder whether my father pushed her. Their relationship was violent after I was born, so I assume the same was true before my birth. (I was an "accident," I would have been aborted if it were legal at the time, and there was never any love between my parents.) Parents weren't allowed to hold premature babies 45 years ago. My parents could only look at me through a window during my first two months, while I lived in an incubator. I've always considered that to be incredibly sad that I got no parental bonding immediately after birth, and it is, but lately I've begun to see it as a blessing. I don't know how much attention I got from the nursing staff, but I feel some gratitude that my first, most vulnerable months were spent shielded from my parents. 

Studies can be helpful, but what were your actual experiences after you were born? Since I grew up with abusive parents, it's difficult to say what difficulties I had were caused by abuse and what ones were caused by being born prematurely (which was also probably caused by abuse).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.