Difference between Ethics and Morality in UPB

orodriguez

Hi everyone,

For me it is confusing what is the difference between ethics and morality. I was reading that this concepts are equivalents in the popular usage, but in the context of some philosophies they are different. What would be the case in the context of UPB?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a large section of ethics that really isn't UPB applicable and cannot be responded to with force. In the book, these are called aesthetically unpreferable-behavior. Note that the non-unversality. These are behaviors that don't have a UPB type proof to them, but can still be argued to be bad. For instance, being late for an appointment or being a free-rider can be argued to be immoral, but the argument is not at all a solid as the proof behind "thou shalt not rape" and you are unable to response with violence. You can still respond with voluntary means in response, such as cutting ties with someone who continually late, but this is something you could do anyway.

Hope that answered the question. If I misunderstood what you meant, please feel free to explain.

Hi everyone,

For me it is confusing what is the difference between ethics and morality. I was reading that this concepts are equivalents in the popular usage, but in the context of some philosophies they are different. What would be the case in the context of UPB?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

The same, they're considered synonyms.  Ethics might be what you'd call the field of philosophy.  So like Metaphysics is about what is reality, and metaphysical means reality they're more or less synonyms.  I would say there is no important distinction, and I do remember Stef saying something to the same effect.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.