well, good question, thanks for asking!

I'd like to somehow take it to the next level--how can I make it more relevant and useful for people?  How to make it more engaging, get people to discuss and respond.  Maybe I should try a vlog and ask specific questions at the end.  I notice that was my 200th post--and nothing's categorized, not very user-friendly!  I guess I feel it's time to take it up a notch and I don't know what that looks like.  Any thoughts?

thanks!

how can I make it more relevant and useful for people?

This made me smile. Primarily because when you asked that question, and I asked for clarification, this is exactly what my answer would be if somebody asked me the same thing. As a result of my childhood abuse, I'm very cerebral and left-brained. Expressing myself in a way that's personable and interesting doesn't come naturally for me. Is this how you experience it?

Unfortunately, this means I don't know how much help I can offer. It's natural for people to gravitate towards like minded people in general. Almost all do it for confirmation bias, so it's hard to break that threshold. At least when the people that FDR attracts do it, it's for the purpose of evading the poison, not just back-patting of each other.

I think the reason I said that specific part of your most recent writing was particularly valuable to me was because it sort of broke this mold. The writing itself would mostly appeal to people who already understood the concepts, but that part in particular told them something they might not understand or grasp. It's like trying to explain to a capital L Libertarian that armed rebellion isn't going to bring about the change we need even though we need change and being armed in and of itself isn't problematic.

I could tell you the various ways I personally use this in my scribbles here on FDR (like the armed rebellion thing). I don't know how it would look in your writings or on the topic of self-reliance though.

Maybe I should try a vlog and ask specific questions at the end.

I can't speak for others, but I can say a couple thoughts I have on this. The questions at the end thing is a component that most articles lack. I think one reason why YouTube is such a popular means of communication (even compared to competitors such as Vimeo) is because of the comments section that allow the "reader" to talk back and/or strike up a conversation on the subject matter. This alone could be more useful than just an article that contains the exact same text.

My other thought on the matter is a personal one. A buddy of mine recently asked me if I'd be interested in consuming a book for the sake of discussions we have. I told him I would if it was available as an audio book. Similarly, the last book I chose to read on my own, I went to great lengths to try and efficiently convert it to audio. I'm an audible learner for one. Secondly, it's just plain convenient to be able to toss it onto a CD and into the car for example.

For that matter, it can be helpful from an author's point of view because it means you can provide longer content without losing your audience's interest.

I notice that was my 200th post--and nothing's categorized, not very user-friendly!  I guess I feel it's time to take it up a notch and I don't know what that looks like.  Any thoughts?

Just one: The more important something is to humanity, the more important it is that it is treated as important. I was just thinking about this the other day. Imagine it's 1,000 yrs from now and people are studying Stefan Molyneux the way people study Plato today. If steps aren't taken in the present to categorize, summarize, etc, this can be extremely difficult. The man has thousands of hours of spoken content! With the internet, it's entirely possible that what you're writing will be a part of human knowledge for eternity. So if you feel motivated to organize the information, I would say go for it.

Thank you so much for this thoughtful insightful post, huge appreciation!  Can you please tell me how you get just a single line of quote to insert?  Each time I try that feature the entire post copies and it's annoying to then go erase all the parts you don't want to include.

OK, so I know this is helpful, but I have some further questions, if you don't mind.

"Expressing myself in a way that's personable and interesting doesn't come naturally for me. Is this how you experience it?"

First, I think the question about wanting to be more relevant and useful is the most natural and important question!  I know I'm a teacher and writer at my core, so that's always the question to me.  I find you come off as personable and interesting, very much so, so it's interesting to hear this doesn't come naturally to you.  I'd like to hear more about that, if you care to share!

As for me, I think I'm personable and interesting and have no problem conveying that through my writing or with others in general.  I suppose I am also cerebral, as you say, but I spent so long faking it that I can fool the worst of 'em.  Cerebral or sensitive did not fit in with my FOO!  But, that's not the truth when it comes to important things, about myself, about things I really care about and that's a different story altogether.  And your comment about treating as important what's really important is definitely true and struck a chord with me.  You really might be onto something here and I'm going to explore that much more.  I didn't take myself seriously for many years and there is surely still some residue of that.

This blog is very close to my heart because it's the first thing I started writing, besides journaling, that was for me, my way, no assignment or editor or client telling me what to write, not trying to sell myself to an audience, it's totally mine.  It's very hodgepodge, if you look back to the beginning, and sometimes all over the place as I experimented with what worked FOR ME mostly, and to a small degree I started looking more at what was needed, the market, the feedback, without letting it overtly influence me (a delicate balance I'm still learning!).

I love listening to some of Stef's first podcasts in tandem with his new stuff--he's come such a long way--it's very inspiring!  He's got the balance down and I learn a lot from watching him, he's very respectful and aware of what people want, but knows exactly when and what to give, it seems. 

Like you, I also listen more and more to content rather than read, so I have to agree with you about Youtube.  I grew up pretty old-school in that girls were not supposed to speak their minds, especially to be critical and especially publicly.  I notice still how many more guys are on Youtube putting out their thoughts and opinions and knowledge to the public compared to girls, and I think it goes back to the "visibility" question I talked with Stef about when I called in.  For a while now I've thought I'm just going to try it, just do one "demo" and see how it comes out, I don't have to actually post it!

What do you think about the male/female visibility thing?  When you take a look at the women smart and outspoken enough to talk about real issues publicly they are typically very young and gorgeous. I am "of a certain age" not an expert in anything and not too photogenic.  Does this sound like a good dose of realism, or false center crap?!

Can you please tell me how you get just a single line of quote to insert?  Each time I try that feature the entire post copies and it's annoying to then go erase all the parts you don't want to include.

That's the only way I know how to do it too.

I find you come off as personable and interesting, very much so, so it's interesting to hear this doesn't come naturally to you.  I'd like to hear more about that, if you care to share!

Maybe that's one of those things that is other people devaluing me through me. I feel I'm able to provide an academic connection with others, but am still underdeveloped in terms of empathy. I have the foundation for it based on what I understand are the requisite and building blocks for it. But they were suppressed by others for decades and I've only been actively sifting through it all for about a year. I try to study my writing interactions with others very carefully and it seems I have a hard time conveying much warmth. Thank you for the feedback.

Like you, I also listen more and more to content rather than read, so I have to agree with you about Youtube.  I grew up pretty old-school in that girls were not supposed to speak their minds, especially to be critical and especially publicly.  I notice still how many more guys are on Youtube putting out their thoughts and opinions and knowledge to the public compared to girls, and I think it goes back to the "visibility" question I talked with Stef about when I called in.  For a while now I've thought I'm just going to try it, just do one "demo" and see how it comes out, I don't have to actually post it!

What do you think about the male/female visibility thing?  When you take a look at the women smart and outspoken enough to talk about real issues publicly they are typically very young and gorgeous. I am "of a certain age" not an expert in anything and not too photogenic.  Does this sound like a good dose of realism, or false center crap?!

It's been a part of our culture (read: falsehood) for so long that part of a woman's virtue is how she looks. I can't help but wonder if half the discrepancy between male/female orators is self-consciousness and the other half wanting to not expose themselves to all the creeps that either try to exploit this or are being scumbags while cowardly hiding behind the anonymity of the internet.

One of my favorite aspect of people who talk to the camera for YouTube is that it actively fights back against our culture's obsession with the beautiful people. Beauty is enjoyable to look at, but the videos I watch on YouTube (usually just listen to audio) are for the message. If the message is beautiful, it doesn't matter what the courier looks like.

Check out Julie Borowski's videos sometime if you get the chance. Regardless of what any individual might say about her age and looks, she goes to ridiculous lengths to get people talking. It's just a damn shame that she always stops one step short of the truth in order to appeal to a larger audience. The main point here is if you're doing it for yourself, enjoy it and to hell with people who spew vitriol to recreate the unresolved trauma of their past.

Let me offer a different perspective. Anyone who watches your videos expecting you to look a certain way is too superficial to ever understand your message. Not relying on looks is a natural filter against shallow people. Personally, when I watch videos I'm more interested in the body language, not the looks.

Thanks to you both, just scanned through Julie's site and she looks hilarious, thanks!

On another thread I think it was Joel who linked Gerlach's videos and I've started the course because I've realized this is very connected to the things I spoke about with Stef.  The truth is the therapy I had, even thought I worked very hard at it, it was not this deep and rigorous and I'm not going to be able to understand my next steps professionally without going deeper into this stuff.

I really appreciate your feedback and perspectives.  I do think it's much more about content, a certain warmth or energy of care, and delivery.

It's now or never . . . ;)

On another thread I think it was Joel who linked Gerlach's videos and I've started the course because I've realized this is very connected to the things I spoke about with Stef.  The truth is the therapy I had, even thought I worked very hard at it, it was not this deep and rigorous and I'm not going to be able to understand my next steps professionally without going deeper into this stuff.

Therapy in the absence of philosophy is like trying to play a sport without knowing the rules. There are objective principles that underlie human interactions. Philosophy will tell you what they are and a therapist can help you understand how they apply to you and your history. I see therapists as coaches. The job of a coach isn't to invent new rules but to help athletes perform better within the existing rules.

I think there is maybe a level of nuance in your post Lians that I'm missing!  Please, speak up man!  Do you think this true of Gerlach?  I don't want to perform better in the existing rules, I want to find further success trumping the system, critiquing it, carving my unique path, to the benefit of future generations--isn't that why we're all here at FDR?! :confused:

My example is too convoluted. I'll try again! Stef has repeatedly pointed out that what's missing from psychology and therapy is philosophy. For example, most therapists lack the moral clarity that philosophy provides and therefore aren't able to help their clients assign proper responsibility for what's happened to them. On the other hand, most philosophers lack the self-knowledge aspects of psychology and end up with wildly inconsistent work. Genuine clarity comes from bridging both worlds.

To me, the biggest benefit of therapy is to have someone point out your blind spots. I don't need a therapist to tell me whether my parents acted inconsistently or immorally. I've got philosophy for that. However, due to the trauma that I've experienced, I'm blind to a lot of key information that is needed for a philosophical evaluation. Working through emotional blocks and blind spots is where therapy becomes invaluable.

You know how dancers need a mirror to check the form of their movements? The therapist is that mirror when it comes to processing your history. Of course, you don't want someone who sides with your abusers.

I haven't watched Gerlach and I wasn't implying anything about him. Frankly, I don't care much about the type of therapy. If the therapist helps me see my blind spots, she's doing a good job. All of this is just my personal opinion. Does it make any sense?

Hi thanks for the clarification Lians!

Yes, makes total sense and I love your 'dancer needs a mirror' analogy. 

I've since done a number of hours of his free course and I think it will be helpful for me.  But, it's very good I have Stef's material, because already in Lesson 1 Gerlach says "don't blame your parents they did the best the could."  I understand the not blaming thing, unproductive, but I do agree with Stef that nothing will improve if we don't hold our elders accountable at all.

I saw a blind spot just listening to the last Sunday call, the last caller, she "charmed" me, sucked me in so-to-speak, so that I just started listening and empathizing without thinking more critically or trying to untangle her false selves or be in any way helpful or something.  I guess  I heard through her the way we talk together with my siblings--"bonding over shared vicitimization" -- not helpful or inspiring change!

I saw a blind spot just listening to the last Sunday call, the last caller, she "charmed" me, sucked me in so-to-speak, so that I just started listening and empathizing without thinking more critically or trying to untangle her false selves or be in any way helpful or something.  I guess  I heard through her the way we talk together with my siblings--"bonding over shared vicitimization" -- not helpful or inspiring change!

We're all attracted to the pitfalls of our history. I try to be very careful around people with whom I share similar experiences. By recognizing this dynamic at play, you turn it into a learning experience. In that sense, you becoming aware of this blind spot is actually a mark of progress, not a shortcoming!

Thank you for asking! I'm quite happy. I've been making slow but steady progress thanks to a good mirror. It's quite humbling to see yourself stumble over seemingly basic things. I also try to combine the deep self-work with calculated exposure to things that trigger anxiety in me. Therapy and new experiences give me plenty to work with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi and thanks! It's nice you have noticed my absence, thanks for that too :)

Not hiding, just taking a few months away from all social media to work on some deeper self-knowledge--I find it just too easy to get sucked into the many conversations and time is so precious.  Plus, it's spring and there's so much great outdoor work to be done and limited time to do it before the big heat sets in. 

On that note you may remember I was hoping to find someone handy to come here and help me and yay, my 2nd cousin is coming next month to rough it here on the wee homestead--he's quite an adventurous young guy!

I so appreciate your note.

:thanks:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Im not sure where your located or if you have a place but I am an experienced farmer looking for work (I want to eventually be a farmer), though only 16. Tons of experience with Organic farming, biodynamic farming and so on. Ill take a look at your blog too but if you need any help with anything Id pay to help out !

Hi Jake, how nice to see your post!  We are in East Texas, where are you?  Please do email me when you get a chance, it would be great to hear more about you--sounds like you have great experience.  I'm happy to chat with you about what we've got going on here and our future plans.  We could certainly use any help we can get, we couldn't pay you, but you certainly wouldn't have to pay us!

Thanks for your message!

[email protected]

:thanks:

• 2 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.