Why so critical of deepak chopras work?

Naer

Considering Stefan think god is made up.  I guess he's passive aggressive.  I am waiting you to show me references or studies claiming your point of view.  Obviously you have none.

Your first statement is a false analogy or at best a "tu quoque" fallacy. It is not relevant if Stef supposedly acted passive aggressive or not. 

CrazyC, I shared a piece of my experience with you (in context of my abusive childhood) and your answer is: "Sounds like you're making stuff up."

You didn't ask me any questions nor did you voice any sympathies. Your comment is suggesting that I am lying.

You posted some links, remarking: "So much for reality."

You are waiting for me to show you studies? What made you think that I would take your response as coming from someone who is curious about my position?

Right now, you could have just asked me for studies on which I base the post I made previously.

Instead you say "I am waiting(...)" and "Obviously you have none." That is passive aggressive.

There are numbers of studies and articles. Try google with the keywords "anger repression".

I quickly mention a few here, I guess this could be interesting for others as well.

Here something about your point: "You can not think clearly with any type of anger."

Because angry people apparently rely on heuristic cues when making judgments, anger has been claimed to trigger superficial, nonanalytic information processing. In three studies, the authors found that induced anger promoted analytic processing. Experiment 1 showed that angry participants were more likely to discriminate between weak and strong arguments than participants in neutral moods. Experiment 2 demonstrated that anger overrode dispositional preferences not to process, causing even those low in need for cognition to process analytically. Experiment 3 reconciled these findings with previous work by showing that angry people used accessible, valid, and relevant heuristics but otherwise processed analytically, as indicated by attitude change and elaboration data. Together, these experiments showed that angry people can have both the capacity and motivation to process and that their selective use of heuristics reflects the cue's perceived validity and not the failure to process analytically.Moons, G. Wesley; Mackie, M. Diane: Thinking Straight While Seeing Red, The Influence of Anger on Information Processing; 2012 Journal Citation Reports® (Thomson Reuters, 2013) 

Here something about Depression and Anger:

A series of psychoanalytic theorists and clinicians have suggested that conflicts about anger play a central role in the development of depression. Research data have supported the notion that patients struggle with the experience and expression of angry feelings. Anger in people with depression often stems from narcissistic vulnerability, a sensitivity to perceived or actual loss or rejection. These angry reactions cause intrapsychic conflicts through the onset of guilt and the fear that angry feelings will disrupt relationships. These conflicts lead to anger being directed inwards, further lowering self-esteem, creating a vicious cycle. Defence mechanisms that are triggered, including passive aggression, reaction formation, denial and identification with the aggressor, are ineffective at managing these conflicts and further prevent the appropriate expression of anger. This article discusses how to identify and detoxify angry feelings and fantasies using a psychodynamic approach.Busch, N. Fredric: Anger and Depression; Advances in Psychiatric Treatment (2009) 15: 271-278 

Here is an interesting article about misplacing anger:

Anger Mismanagement: Reply to Dr. Stosnyhttp://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evil-deeds/200901/anger-mismanagement 

And here a bit about cancer and disease:

Extremely low anger scores have been noted in numerous studies of patients with cancer. Such low scores suggest suppression, repression, or restraint of anger. There is evidence to show that suppressed anger can be a precursor to the development of cancer, and also a factor in its progression after diagnosis. Some studies indicate that it may be beneficial for patients to mobilize anger to battle their cancer.Thomas SP, Groer M, Davis M, Droppleman P, Mozingo J, Pierce M.:Anger and cancer: an analysis of the linkages. College of Nursing, University of Tennessee, Knoxville 37996-4180, USA.

A team of researchers at Stanford University in California found that women who repressed their emotions were more likely to show disruptions in the normal balance of the stress hormone cortisol, compared with those who did not. Earlier studies have shown that the unbalanced cortisol fluctuations can predict early death in women with breast cancer that has spread to other areas of the body."People who have repressive styles tend to be more prone to illness, particularly [immune-system related] diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis, infections, and cancers. The concept is of unexpressed anger. If one doesn't let it out, that could have adverse consequences."

[Dr. George Solomon, professor emeritus of psychiatry and biobehavioral sciences at University of California Los Angeles]

"Extreme suppression of anger was the most commonly identified characteristic of 160 breast cancer patients who were given a detailed psychological interview and self-administered questionnaire. Repressing anger magnified exposure to physiological stress, thereby increasing the risk of cancer" [Journal of Psychosomatic Research]

A 1979 study comparing long-term survivors of breast cancer with those who did not survive, scientists at John Hopkins University found that long-term survivors expressed much higher levels of anxiety, hostility and other negative emotions. Patients who were able to express their feelings lived longer than those who had difficulty in doing so. [Journal of the American Medical Association]http://www.examiner.com/article/research-links-cancer-with-repressed-unresolved-feelings-and-emotions 

and here another article:

Expressing negative emotions could extend lifespanhttp://www.scienceworldreport.com/articles/4339/20121227/expressing-negative-emotions-extends-lifespan.htm

This debate of Sam Harris vs. Deepak Chopra is annoying.  Highly not recommended:

Basically, it seems Chopra has invented a lot of his own spiritual fantasy.  Maybe some of it is emotionally comforting or helpful, but it doesn't seem to be true. 

I've seen the whole thing before. It's really ironic that when asked what his proof of is for his vague quantum nonsense he says "you are the proof" lol. That's (basically) the name of an FDR podcast series. Obviously the message is entirely different, but it strikes me as funny.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.