"How to Include Spanking in Child Discipline"

LovePrevails

I don't know if you remember, but a couple of years ago there was a guy who videotaped himself shooting his daughter's laptop that went viral on the internet.  I remember hearing about it, I couldn't bring myself to watch it at first and thinking how disgusted I was at the guy.  What a complete dickhead.  And basically thinking everyone would be saying the same thing.   So, I got the shock of my life when I went to a forum that I frequented at the time, with people who at least to some extent thought outside the box, and saw everyone cheering him on and saying how it was great and would "teach her a lesson".   There was one dissenting voice, but she was getting abused for her view.  It was pretty disgusting.

This was even before I personally accepted that spanking was abuse (caveat: I've never spanked anyone in my life, I just never thought much about the concept until I came here).  I'm not a parent but I think that the general parenting culture, seems to be, still, quite sick to me.  Which I guess kind of makes my own childhood situation seem not so unusual.  

But many people looking for a scientific excuse for hitting their kids as opposed to someone who says not to?  My experiences of the last few years basically gel with the stats you quote above.  I'm not surprised any more that pro-spanking gets exponentially more hits.

The how-to article is on a popular website, whereas your YouTube page is not a popular website.  To compare the page views you need to normalize somehow.

The illustrations are interesting.  I wonder where they came from, and what the illustrator was thinking, when he made them.

This is on WIKI-HOW?! Jeez...the opening line is already unsettling. 

In an ideal world, spanking would never be necessary. However, on rare occasions it may be necessary to smack your child's bottom.

That Ideal world won't be if you promote this crap on a widely used how to site!

It is incredibly disturbing how the can normalize this as NOT abuse and a way to PREVENT abuse. That's like wearing a condom when you rape a woman. 

I can't even begin to bring my self to read the whole article, but I'll trudge through it and then watch your interview. Just to contrast and compare the logic.

Anyone else feel compelled to edit the hell out of this article? Just delete all their "hard work" in promoting child abuse and just write in a big font "JUST DON'T DO IT YOU HEARTLESS KUNT!"

I don't know if you remember, but a couple of years ago there was a guy who videotaped himself shooting his daughter's laptop that went viral on the internet.  I remember hearing about it, I couldn't bring myself to watch it at first and thinking how disgusted I was at the guy.  What a complete dickhead.  And basically thinking everyone would be saying the same thing.   So, I got the shock of my life when I went to a forum that I frequented at the time, with people who at least to some extent thought outside the box, and saw everyone cheering him on and saying how it was great and would "teach her a lesson".   There was one dissenting voice, but she was getting abused for her view.  It was pretty disgusting.

This was even before I personally accepted that spanking was abuse (caveat: I've never spanked anyone in my life, I just never thought much about the concept until I came here).  I'm not a parent but I think that the general parenting culture, seems to be, still, quite sick to me.  Which I guess kind of makes my own childhood situation seem not so unusual.  

But many people looking for a scientific excuse for hitting their kids as opposed to someone who says not to?  My experiences of the last few years basically gel with the stats you quote above.  I'm not surprised any more that pro-spanking gets exponentially more hits.

Mike, I remember that video and had the exact same experience on a forum dedicated to a popular political candidate with libertarian leanings who ran in 2008 and 2012. Violence toward children and statism go hand in hand. It was always amazing how these people who were demanding political freedom never thought about how they supported the "non-political" abuse towards others. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.