First books on self knowledge?

vlbk

Everyday Anarchy - Stefan Molyneux 

What does a book about delinquent biker gangs throwing Molotov cocktails over post apocalyptic ruins have to do with self knowledge?

Well I would say that there is something about those simple, self contained arguments, that can really turn a switch on for you. When some exposes the contradictions (all while adding no new knowledge of his own; Socrates style) within the premises and conclusions that you have held all your life in a few brisk sentences that seem self evident once you've heard them, it makes you wonder. What the hell, have I been brainwashed this whole time? and what the heck am I supposed to do now? 

I really do wish I had come across this work in the first place, all the time and emotional energy I invested into politics, globalist conspiracy theories and zeitgeist mommy robots would have been invested into self-knowledge and philosophy much sooner

Toward Truth, by Daniel Mackler. In this book, Daniel goes over the causes of wounds, how to define trauma, how to heal from it and become your true Self. I found it a painful but strong read. It's certainly given me a lot to journal about. Happy self-archeology!

I am currently reading my first self-help book. It's The Psychology of Self-Esteem by Nathanien Branden. I heard about it when listening to Stefan's video called "How to Meet a Nice Girl" about half-way through. He said it wasn't until he read that book when he actually began to care about his emotions so I bought it. I am making slow progress on it because of school but thank you for making this topic, it will give me some other books to read after this one.

I haven't read anything from Alice Miller or Daniel Mackler yet, so I can't really comment on that, but Stef's "On Truth" and Jay Earley's "Self-Therapy" were quite helpful to me.

Stef's book because it was a HUGE eye-opener in regards to my relationships and I doubt I could've ever figured that stuff out simply journaling or introspecting. And Earley's book cause it's a guidebook to using IFS basically, including exercises and thurough but simple enough explanations along with actual real-life examples to get you understanding the method and most that's needed to start using it.

I haven't read anything from Alice Miller or Daniel Mackler yet, so I can't really comment on that, but Stef's "In Truth" and Jay Earley's "Self-Therapy" were quite helpful to me.

Stef's book because it was a HUGE eye-opener in regards to my relationships and I doubt I could've ever figured that stuff out simply journaling or introspecting. And Earley's book cause it's a guidebook to using IFS basically, including exercises and thurough but simple enough explanations along with actual real-life examples to get you understanding the method and most that's needed to start using it.

On Truth, and totally. That book had a big impact on me. Bigger than Drama of the Gifted Child.

I also want to second Branden's Psychology of Self Esteem. This whole idea that putting others down is bad, but if we put ourselves down it's okay shattered after reading that one.

On Truth, and totally. That book had a big impact on me. Bigger than Drama of the Gifted Child.

I also want to second Branden's Psychology of Self Esteem. This whole idea that putting others down is bad, but if we put ourselves down it's okay shattered after reading that one.

Thanks. And corrected in OP 

For the original question, i would recommend The psychology of self esteem. It made me think again about the importance of rationality, values, what you choose to think, emotions.

To the IFS connoisseur's,

I am interested on how you might reconcile "IFS" with "Three Minute Therapy" or other CBT based therapy practices. Am i the only one seeing a contradiction between what is talked about on the show and the recent guest stef had: Dr. Edelstein? 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.