Nadine Dorries Urges Amazon To Ban Christian 'Abuse' Parenting Book, 'How To Train Up Your Child'

LovePrevails

"If you have to sit on him to spank him then do not hesitate. And hold him there until he is surrendered. Prove that you are bigger, tougher, more patiently enduring and are unmoved by his wailing. Defeat him totally. Accept no conditions for surrender. No compromise. You are to rule over him as a benevolent sovereign. Your word is final."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/11/07/child-abuse-ban_n_4232693.html?icid=maing-grid7|uk|dl1|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D221347

AKA: How to train children to fuse with an omnipotent deity and then obey that deity's irrational commands.

I decided I would investigate, and here is what a homepage displays now that used to be a page on the book which thinks it is defending itself and being more reasonable:

Page 60: "But what of the grouch who would rather complain than sleep? Get tough. Be firm with him. Never put him down and then allow him to get up. If, after putting him down, you remember he just woke up, do not reward his complaining by allowing him to get up.For the sake of consistency in training, you must follow through. He may not be able to sleep, but he can be trained to lie there quietly. He will very quickly come to know that any time he is laid down there is no alternative but to stay put. To get up is to be on the firing line and get switched back down."

Page 79: "A seven-month-old boy had, upon failing to get his way, stiffened clenched his fists, bared his toothless gums and called down damnation on the whole place. At a time like that, the angry expression on a baby's face can resemble that of one instigating a riot. The young mother, wanting to do the right thing, stood there in helpless consternation, apologetically shrugged her shoulders and said, "What can I do?" My incredulous nine-year-old whipped back, "Switch him." The mother responded, "I can't, he's too little." With the wisdom of a veteran who had been on the little end of the switch, my daughter answered, "If he is old enough to pitch a fit, he is old enough to be spanked."

Page 80: "On the bare legs or bottom, switch him eight or ten licks; then, while waiting for the pain to subside, speak calm words of rebuke. If the crying turns to a true, wounded, submissive whimper, you have conquered; he has submitted his will. If the crying is still defiant, protesting and other than a response to pain, spank him again."

Page 46: "Never reward delayed obedience by reversing the sentence. And, unless all else fails, don't drag him to the place of cleansing. Part of his training is to come submissively. However, if you are just beginning to institute training on an already rebellious child, who runs from discipline and is too incoherent to listen, then use whatever force is necessary to bring him to bay. If you have to sit on him to spank him then do not hesitate. And hold him there until he is surrendered. Prove that you are bigger, tougher, more patiently enduring and are unmoved by his wailing. Defeat him totally. Accept no conditions for surrender. No compromise. You are to rule over him as a benevolent sovereign. Your word is final."

Part of that last quote was in the OP.

Then I went to Amazon for the reviews they posted to advertise the book:

Review...after only 2 days of applying the principles in your book, our rebellious, miserable, 8 year-old daughter suddenly transformed... -- No Greater Joy, Sample Ed. 2000, p. 5.

I am so thankful to be enjoying my precious children instead of merely trying to "keep up" with my life. -- No Greater Joy, May/June 2000, p.4.

I enjoyed it so much that I ordered 8 more of them to give to each family at Christmas. --No Greater Joy, Sample Copy 1999, p. 8.

Luckily, most of the 5 star reviews are trolls, but there are a few parents who did actually rate it positively

Wow that was really hard to read there near the end. What really makes this even more depressing is to know that regardless of the book many people are already doing this stuff.

On the topic in the title, I do hope Amazon refuses to sell a child abuse manual.

A seven-month-old boy had, upon failing to get his way, stiffened clenched his fists, bared his toothless gums and called down damnation on the whole place.

Ah yes, because seven-month-old children are well-aware of the concept of damnation and effective at bringing around its effects. I guess as a parent you don't want that kind of competition.

Well through my disgust at the book and it's contents I missed a key part, the woman mentioned in the title is a member of government. So I actually have to change my stance, she has no business telling Amazon to ban the book. I thought at first it was just a person in the media or advocate group, however the government has no business telling Amazon what books they can and cannot sell.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.