Stefan Molyneux is the best of philosophers.

Think Free

I don't think Stefan's original philosophical work is likely to have a big impact on the thinking of future well-known philosophical thinkers. (But what do I know?) But I do think he is a great philosopher and one of the best philosophers in the best and most important sense: that is, he not only lives his life in accordance with his careful philosophical thinking, but he also does a very good job of encouraging others to also do so, and to help them become true philosophers (lovers of knowledge and reason). And I think it's important to recognize that that is probably more important than original contributions to philosophical thought.

I, for one, intend to complete a number of books over the next couple of years on a variety of subjects and his name will be among the list of acknowledgments. Who knows what other flowers may blossom from this fertile ground to acknowledge Stef as an influence.

We already have Steven Summerstone, Stephen Colgan, Phil, John and myself on this board creating original youtube content, who knows who will go far?

lets get constructive and network

I, for one, intend to complete a number of books over the next couple of years on a variety of subjects and his name will be among the list of acknowledgments. Who knows what other flowers may blossom from this fertile ground to acknowledge Stef as an influence.

We already have Steven Summerstone, Stephen Colgan, Phil, John and myself on this board creating original youtube content, who knows who will go far?

lets get constructive and network

Who's John?

• 2 weeks later...

I was really captured by a video where he mentioned the lack of passion in philosophy, and historically how religion has abused the appeal to emotions to rangle in people.  He mentions, well, to this day how many have gravitated towards philosophy vs religion?  Suggesting the lack of passion wards off newcomers and may even convince them to write off reason as cold, and leading towards a life without anticipation and hope, etc.  Similar to some off the english romantics who wrote off reason as incapable of nurturing the creativity, and spirit of life - leading us further down the path of pollution and decay they seen coming post-enlightenment and the industrial revolution.

I hope some don't pass by this post thinking its a fanboy in heat or something, I'm really curious what it is that drove others to his videos.  Cool topic, keep em coming.

I, for one, intend to complete a number of books over the next couple of years on a variety of subjects

On what subjects?  One thing I love of our little virtual community, is the ability for others wanting to lend a hand.  I doubt anyone has watched every podcast/video in the vaults, but if you put us together im sure we cover most of it.  If these are works in progress put up a new thread on the subject and I'll share what I got.  I bet all of our minds could put together something pretty awesome

On what subjects?  One thing I love of our little virtual community, is the ability for others wanting to lend a hand.  I doubt anyone has watched every podcast/video in the vaults, but if you put us together im sure we cover most of it.  If these are works in progress put up a new thread on the subject and I'll share what I got.  I bet all of our minds could put together something pretty awesome

thanks for your curiosity, I have 3 self-help books in the pipeline, one about communication, one about self-therapy and one about self-knowledge in general but i want to run more workshops before I finish them so I have more real life anecdotes and experiences to illustrate my exercises and approaches

I also have one book on voluntarist anarchism aimed at liberals  because most of the stuff I have read is more preachign to the choir, and haivng been a liberal I think I know how to find common ground and be more persuasive

I have one on being a theatre critic which is sort of unrelated (I have reviewed 75 plays) and one novel which has a lot about self-knowledge in it but I'm far from confident enough to finish it yet.

I'd also like to do a book of short plays (I have a number but would like more before doing it)

and a book of lyrics (I've written over 50 songs in the last 10 years)

In the meantime I am focussing on shorter projects like articles to build up my confidence and content (and audience)

and dipping into working on these larger projects when it takes my fancy

I know when I'm in a good writing place I can write up to 5000 words in a sitting (my record is around 8,500)  so when my inner family is in place I can imagine going bam - bam - bam and finishing these projects in rapid succession

typing about it feels good

His acknowledgement of empirical realities is what distinguishes him as far as I am concerned. 

For me what does it is acknowledgining the limits of the mind, such as saying you can't plan completely for conversations in advance

or predict certain things with accuracy

or work it all out in your head,

his acknowledgment of the need to be real in the moment as well as use your head

also his epistemology of concepts and correspondence is highly credible and well put to me

thanks for your curiosity,

Holy smokes man, you got your work cut out for you.  The only piece of advice I can lend is: I have seen an incredibly brilliant man have his lifes work boil down to a home-made dissolved oxygen sensor in his at-home fish aquarium.  Only because he has so much on his plate, and so much he wanted to do that every project was done either half-assed, or only 20% done.  Limit distractions.  Dedicate your life only to things that you feel are worthy of your time.  Penn (from Penn and Teller) said in a reddit AMA that he only spends time doing the things HE can do.  ANYONE can watch tv, anyone can write the first few pages of a book, anyone can change someones life..... but what is it that YOU are truelly good at?  What can you do that will speak to the most people, on what you feel is important?

Can you link me to this one?

Have you ever been on a road trip, and there's thousands of street signs for diners, gas stations, landmarks, this and that?  And then theres this sign in the middle of butt-fuck nowhere that totally grabs your attention?  It's hard to know exactly what city it was, or sometimes even the 'state'?  That's kind of how this is.  I give you my word I'll spend some of my time looking for it, but I can't make promises that I'll be able to find it.  Those little moments of inspiration seldom (for me) bring the necessity to quote the source.  haha! terrible, i know.  As much as I revere and support intellectual property, I sometimes let beautiful things sink into my subconcious until the source of which... becomes me.  All I can do is tell others to listen to Stef's podcast from 2006-7 and hope for the same moment, then send a few bucks his way for his hard work!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Exceptionalist
I don't think Stefan's original philosophical work is likely to have a big impact on the thinking of future well-known philosophical thinkers. (But what do I know?) But I do think he is a great philosopher and one of the best philosophers in the best and most important sense: that is, he not only lives his life in accordance with his careful philosophical thinking, but he also does a very good job of encouraging others to also do so, and to help them become true philosophers (lovers of knowledge and reason). And I think it's important to recognize that that is probably more important than original contributions to philosophical thought.

Yeah, that is a huge contradiction to the original hypothesis called "Stefan Molyneux is the best of philosophers." You can only measure the effects afterwards and you have a certain standard for backing up the claim.

I think he is a rare once in a lifetime genius. Had he not had the terrible childhood he had, he would probably be a billionaire. 

Nah, see, that's exactly why most people don't become anarchists. You think Stefan had a magical super power in his chest?

First he had genetic and environmental predispositions for his anarchism that determined the path he was going to take... with a sort of strong will and intelligent, then as he said not be too controlled but rather simply beaten up by his family showed him exactly what he does not want in life, probably being what granted him the great memory he claims to have cultivated. Therefore drawn to intellectual pursuits early on. Classic books. The Wall. Pursuits which would end up including self-knowledge...

A lot of people worldwide likely follow this path since there's over a billion people in the Western world, but then the similarities end. Stef happened to read a lot, and one day he had a friend whose favorite band'd drummer happened to love Ayn Rand, so he was exposed to The Fountainhead. So, his predisposition got mixed with an opening to reach for philosophy early on, and he pushed himself in the good direction as it was the right time to do so. What if his set of circumstances didn't match up with the right inclination in time?

People are anxiety-reducing machines, and seek happiness as their end. In a society where irrationality caracterizes even the most irrational of people, Stef could've stopped at a lifestyle, a rut, an overpowered relationship... at the point where Ayn Rand was shown to him, it definitely wasn't the only place to look. And even Ayn Rand didn't make it through to anarchism in her life.

In a society without the internet, becoming an anarchist was to be very lucky, because turning points heading towards anarchism or statism were blind turning points.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.