Books on Parenting - Suggestions?

Heath Long

I am looking for a good book on parenting. We have a 2.5 year old child that is wonderful until bed time, when she starts jumping on the bed and completely ignores her parents. We are just looking for some insight on where we are falling short, and to learn something about an appropriate course of action. Her communication is not yet advanced enough to get a complete picture by talking to our daughter. We would greatly appreciate some book suggestions. Thanks in advance.

I do not have kids and do not know a ton in this area. However, Stefan is working on a parenting book and put the first draft in the Gold + section (which I see you are good to view.)

If you don't mind the occasional mistakes that happen in a first draft, I am sure it is a quality book with some good information.

http://board.freedomainradio.com/topic/36941-peaceful-parenting-by-stefan-molyneux-first-draft/

Stef did an interview with Dr. Faye Snyderhttp://www.drfayesnyder.com/http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MrVq-3UviYShe wrote a book called "The Manual". 

The Manual

What distinguishes The Manual from other parenting and relationship self-help books

The Manual is a revolutionary, groundbreaking parenting book based upon the Causal Theory, which is a parenting theory drawn from cause and effect. The Manual addresses issues of our time, as today’s parents re-invent their roles and reassess traditional parenting styles. This book instructs parents how to raise healthy, compassionate, ethical, charismatic, good natured and low-maintenance children. It addresses state-of-the-art information on ethics, discipline and the pros and cons of very real issues such as bullies, trauma, bedwetting and identifying symptoms of physical and sexual abuse. Parents are taught how to perceive and facilitate the healing of their own child from small issues to major ones (ideally with the help of a therapist). It addresses issues of personality formation, genetics and the pharmaceutical industry, “blaming parents” and guilt. It is a book that adults, whether parents or not, can use to increase their own self-awareness and to understand others.

This reference guide also addresses the treatment of ADHD and RAD (Reactive Attachment Disorder, behaviors resulting from insufficient and broken bonds). It reviews the critical important of attachment and concerns with attachment parenting on one hand and daycare on the other. This book includes a review of child custody issues and other forensic evaluations that address causes behind behavior. While it is both a guide for parents and professionals, including forensic psychologists, it is written in lay terms to reach a broad market and the people raising our next generation: parents.

To satisfy academic requirement and professionals around the globe, The Manual is well documented featuring two indexes, a glossary, almost one hundred charts, and another near hundred text boxes of relevant quotes by experts. Finally, it teaches the reader how to assess a therapist and what the differences are between theories of psychology, how they are practiced and the long-term ramifications behind them.

Most importantly, this book teaches parents what the most critical issues of parenting are, how to perceive the needs of their children and how not to sweat the small stuff, because when one knows what matters, parenting can finally be so much fun. When you enjoy your child, your child thrives. When enough parents enjoy their children, the world will be a better place for us all.

Humbly,

Dr S. Faye Snyder

• 4 weeks later...

In general, I recommend Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn - great foundation book

For your specific issue, try Playful Parenting by Lawrence Cohen

I also really like How to Talk So Kids will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk

Other good one is Brain Rules for Baby. Has a pregnancy and baby section that no longer applies, but it has a good section on building empathy and why that's so important to the brain. I like to know the "whys" sometimes so I can feel more confident in what I'm doing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.