Acting?

DCLugi

I've been investigating my motives for the desire to pretend. A safe environment to explore emotions? A chance to receive attention? An attempt to develop understanding for an otherwise foreign personality? My gut reaction is that I get a charge out of fooling people or knowing that I'm causing them to believe something that I know isn't true. This is done usually for humorous effect but it's not unlike a magician doing a trick. There is also a satisfaction in getting lost in a scene while knowing that it's not "real". Any insight on this?

• 2 weeks later...

I would advise you to not settle for trivial answers. A safe environment to explore your emotions could be a therapist's office. You can receive attention in countless ways without being an actor. If you were trying to develop an understanding for a foreign personality, why not study psychology?

I know it's not easy to knock down the trivial answers when you're amidst what's happening. It's hard to examine the engine of a car while driving it. Your gut feeling is purely descriptive and carries no explanatory power. It's a conclusion. When I go into conclusion-land within myself, I know that I'm dealing with scar-tissue that grew over an inflicted wound.

Stef's "Real-Time Relationships" (RTR) is absolutely indispensable when it comes to taking apart the complexity behind our feelings. Being able to RTR with yourself is an invaluable skill to have. I recommend you read it if you haven't already!

As vlbk suggested, you can also call into the Sunday show and have Stef step you through the RTR insights and techniques.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.