Socrates: The Death of Reason and Know Thyself (Photoshop Manipulation)

Josh F

How did you learn to photoshop like this?

Been doing it since I was a kid, for about 15 years now.  Its super duper easy.

Hey,

nice idea, interesting graphic design...

:thanks:

I`m not sure, if I understand- punk rock design with tatoo`s and Socrates with his "know thyself" are for me the two opposites, don`t you think?

Do you have something to tell us (or to potential onlookers/audience) with your work or is it just for fun? 

I think mixing the death of Socrates with images of a superficial and modern irrational world is a little metaphoric, but mostly my goal was aesthetic.  I have long had a fantasy of brilliant people who say things of value taking center stage over actors and rockstars. 

I think mixing the death of Socrates with images of a superficial and modern irrational world is a little metaphoric, but mostly my goal was aesthetic.  I have long had a fantasy of brilliant people who say things of value taking center stage over actors and rockstars. 

That`s interesting, thank you!

As a feedback: I had a strong and ambivalent feelings towards your pictures and these feelings somehow correlate with your answer- interesting and "cute" graphic on one side, confilicting/inconsistent message in form of Socrates with his look and gesture (I think(!), that the man, who know himself or who is into the self-knowledge, wouldn`t act like that- in this way you loose the potential contrast effect of "superficial world" against "things of value", which could be in addition more interesting, if it would be your intention of course...).

So, at the end I had a curiosity with a aftertaste of inconsistency.

And I had my fun by thinking about that! :) Thank you once more TT!

Take care,

m.

Have you read Socrates?  He is the most abrasive and annoying person in Ancient Greece.  His nihilism and anti-government belligerence mirrors punk culture to a T.  I'm concerned that you've made him a sacred object.  This isn't like some fart Jesus painting designed to mix the profane with the sacred, it is an apt metaphor.  Socrates was the first punk rocker. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.