TED Talk: Violence, A Family Tradition

Mister Mister

At first I was all like :thumbsup:

But then I was all like :confused: 

Perhaps people will blow right past her example and not question it.  But to monkeywrench that soldier example right in the middle of an otherwise positive message is so frustrating. What exactly does it mean to be "one of our nation's heroes" AND a loving husband and father?  What does she mean by "accomplished"?  Did he kill a lot of people?  Did he kill NO people?  Did he follow every order and never question his commanders?  Did he constantly argue with them?  What is the standard of being a good solider?  How can she ask us to reject "sanctioned violence" and then define those who are paid to kill as heroes?  Sure would have been nicer if he was just a firefighter.  * sigh * 

I try to remember Harry Browne's words about how he is not going to stand in the way of people pointed in the same direction as he is.  But by using that example this talk goes into the frustration-inducing Minarchist or Agnostic argument category.

It was just one of his general themes.  I remember one caller on his show was bothered by the presence of anarchists at Libertarian (Party?) meetings and Harry basically said that even if he disagrees with their ideas he's not going to stand in their way as they both have the same goal.  Like, we can debate about 1% vs. 0% government later, but let's get to that point first kind of thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this video, really good.

In reference to other comments in this forum, and as an ex-soldier, I should add that most who go to a war zone come back very scarred; On a basic level many of us are nothing more than trained killers and the wars were legalized violence. Soldiers come back violent and disturbed people. Don't be fooled by patriotic views that seem to pervade society that wars are good and soldiers are admirable in anyway - if in any doubt, just ask their victims.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.