We're doing it! We're unschooling! Congratulate me!

tasmlab

HI friends,

My wife and I have finally decided to homeschool our kids!  It's been a long analysis and we're finally on board.  Starting on Dec 10 my eight year old daughter and five year old son will not be going to school anymore and hopefully my two year old never sees one.

I absolutely FEASTED on John Taylor Gatto's "Dumbing us down" and "Weapons of Mass Instruction".  They were great.   Highly recommended.  I also read Ron Paul's "The School Revolution".

Oh, and I've listened to about 800 FDR podcasts too.

I can't believe how long it took me to get my head around this.  I've been a libertarian for 15 years and it still took a lot of mulling and study.  I guess that's how powerful my own public schooling was.

Anyways, I'm really excited.  Thanks for reading!

great news... it takes courage to go against what is considered the norm.

John Holt is a good one to read, and as you will no longer be tied down to one location due to school, I would also recommend going to an unschooling conference somewhere. google unschooling circuitriders.

Our kids are nearly 2 and 3.5

how is your children about dropping out of school?

My older daughter has mixed feelings.  She likes her friends at school.  It appeals to my K age boy.  Both seem to understand.

We are making a cross-country move, so there is some elegance in the timing.  We'll have a new city, new house, new approach to learning.  This big change helped the case with my wife as well.

How do you plan to fulfill your children's social interaction needs with other children?

I don't totally know!    It was probably the last hinge for us to unscrew in our thinking.

The people you meet at school are as arbitrary as anywhere.  As it stands now, the dozen or so kids that come by for play dates were not met at school but either from the neighborhood or activities (soccer).   As I remember, most of the school day you aren't supposed to socialize but instead sit and a chair with good posture and be quiet.  You get to raise your hand and only get to address the teacher.  I think we'll be able to fulfill the socialization of recess and lunch time on our own. 

We'll start with continuing Karate lessons and horse back riding.  Maybe we'll see if the swim team appeals to them.  Then there is also homeschooling groups (lets see if I can find a non-Christian one)  and maybe we'll get a social membership to the country club.  I think some art lessons are in order, too.

As I remember, most of the school day you aren't supposed to socialize but instead sit and a chair with good posture and be quiet.  You get to raise your hand and only get to address the teacher.  I think we'll be able to fulfill the socialization at recess and lunch time. 

It sounds like your family has the problem of socialization in hand.  Those activities you mention (karate, etc.) allow for a more natural form of social mixing, since schools enforce an unnatural age segregation most of the time.  You will also be much better placed in being able to minimize exposure to bullying and unsavory peers in general.  It would greatly surprise me if unschooled children did not leave home as more mature and as emotionally healthier individuals, not to mention having a better idea of where their interests and talents lie.  Your children are very fortunate to have this opportunity.

• 4 weeks later...

im a little late here but congrats!!!!!!!!!!! how is it going so far?! welcome to the unschooling family!!

Thanks!

Nothing has really happened yet.  The two school-agers had their last day of public school on December 9th, we moved across country and then took the x-mas/new years holiday.  I've put together a really basic program on paper, ordered them new computers and have looked up some things we are going to do in our new community.

The kids are excited.  We have to document to a degree their 'schooling, so we're going to experiment with a lot of video production and web development and they are bonkers excited about this.  

I'll keep everyone posted.  I'm planning on posting the 'plan' here soon and would love other people's feedback.  We still get these (wrong) pangs to replicate a school-like curriculum at home  when we probably need more wait-n-see at this point.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.