The coming of a Spanish communist utopia?

The economic downturn, and in particular the Eurozone crisis, has raised questions about modern capitalism.

In Spain unemployment is at record levels, with record numbers of homes repossessed after the property market crashed.

However, a small communist-style town in the south claims to have no unemployment and no repossessions.

Tom Burridge reports

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22763464

Wonderful, I hope this brand new philosophical concept of com-mu-nism will work out for them...since historically, nothing like this has been tried out before.  Really, I cannot think of one single example.  BBC covering a small Spanish com-mu-nist village - how refreshing to see something new.  Those dastardly "British Broadcasting Capitalists" (BBC), all they ever cover is evil, self-serving capitalistic enterprises.

Nothing like replacing the old and worn-out concept of fascism...sorry, "capitalism", and applying theft and debt to provide "free" land and food (to buy the people).  How fresh and original, because none of us have either seen this, read about it or lived through communist "utopia".  No experience here.

Thank you BBC for that enlightening piece of fresh "journalism".

[facepalm]

I live in Spain and I was aware of this case. I wonder how this would work on a global scale. Where would they steal the resources from? In a communist society there is no Carrefour (the supermarket in the video) to steal from.

Every resource comes from somewhere, if one small town steals resources then I'm sure it can be sustainable. But if every town in the world or even in a country steals from each other, how can the system sustain itself?

It's funny that they call Spain capitalist.  I have a co-worker from Spain and it is shockingly anti-capitalist.  For example it is nearly impossible to fire people in the private sector (if you can call it that) and if you manage to get a government job, you can not be fired at all.  Politicians go around getting votes by offering people government jobs.  It's just hilarious that they blame their unemployment on capitalism.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.